XP: Virtual Folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I remember reading somewhere about creating a virtual folder in XP, where rather than having a new drive appear as a separate drive, you could mount it into the existing filestructure, so that it just appeared like another folder.

I'm trying to do something similar in XP at the moment, but not quite the same. I need a folder in a directory, that points to another location on the drive, so that if you open the folder, it takes you to that other location.

I know you can do it with shortcuts, but its not suitable for my purposes (although they look like folders, they are still .lnk files - i need it to appear, to all intents and purposes, exactly like a folder).

Any suggestions?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I don't think this is possible in Windows.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Is this what you want?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You can mount another hard drive volume in an empty folder if both volumes use NTFS, but you cant direct it to another folder on the same volume. You could use a shortcut and change the icon so it looks like a folder, what is it your trying to create as the end result, ie: how is it going to be used?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Fergal1982

that wont work. The problem is that I need VB.Net to pass through it like a folder, but as i said, because its a .lnk file, it doesnt behave like a folder.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Fergal1982

that might do the trick. I'll take a look at it later.

7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

isn't that what this is for, or did i get the wrong end of the stick :D

[edit]
    forget that i get you now

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I thought I'd follow up with a comment about links in Windows.

I've now seen quite a few statements on the web that there are some gotchas with them.

The trick seems to be to use the special tools (Microsoft has one, as do Sysinternals, as well as the one I mentioned and there are others) and *never* use Windows Explorer to remove such a link. Apparently loss of data can result from such use, as Explorer doesn't seem to know much about links!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Maybe you could get something like you need using the Distributed File System.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP