XP to Windows 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Miro, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Microsoft offer upgrade versions of Windows 7 for students http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/default.aspx
    The price is only £30.
    But I do not understand what difference is between upgrade version of W7 and clean install version.
    I have got XP Pro now so I need to do clean install anyway. So is the upgrade the same as full clean install version?

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's a licensing issue.

If you've already got XP Pro installed, it'll be more of a migration install (see here), but you can still do a clean install also.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Microsoft licensing is not clear for me.
    Basicly in my case I do not want to migrate anything from XP to W7.
    All my data like pictures, movies etc are on different partitions. And most off my software I can reinstall on W7 again or I will install it in XP Virtual Mode.
    I just wander how actualy Microsoft know that this is upgrade version. I think probably by hardware serial numbers( motherboard,CPU). Am I right here?
    Can I still run my XP on existing hard drive and use new hard drive to install W7 upgrade version and just physically switch one or another for booting?
    I have seen that I can dual boot but I would rather go for two different HD if it is possible.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't know about the XP to Win7 upgrades, however in previous version upgrades it actually checked to see if a qualifying OS was already installed or if you were doing a clean install that you had the media and key (I believe) of a qualifying OS. They may have changed it, as it's been years since I've done an "upgrade" with a retail/OEM key :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As Ken said, what you are upgrading in this case is your licence. The type of install you do once you have W7 is up to you (providing there is actually updgrade path) it could be a clean install or an 'in-place upgrade'.

To be honest, you'd be better off doing a clean install, as it's always preferable to an upgrade from a stability and compatibility point of view.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada