XP red screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by AndyVee, Apr 6, 2010.

1. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

just got off the phone from my dad and it apears that my younger cousins have used his laptop over the weekend and when he came to use it today it flashed up with a red screen and now wont turn on at all.
    any advice on this???
    is it a virus or a hardware issue?

any help muchly appreciated :hang

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Does it POST? Do you see the black screen with white "writing" when you first press in the power button?

If the answer to them is "no", then it's a hardware issue (as it's not even reaching Windows), I would say.

Has he tried, reseating the laptop battery? Tried powering on his laptop with it plugged in (but no battery)?

Does it boot up, but fail during Windows load? As that could be "not turning on" for some users. As I don't know how savvy your dad is, I'm trying to cover all bases with limited information... If that's the case, some infections (malware/virus) do cause a Red Screen.

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

no post, wont turn on at all and only wont go on since seeing this red screen - can the red screen cause hardware problems that will lead to it not turning on at all

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

has he pulled the power cable? I have had crashes where the PC won't power at all until the power cable has been pulled and re inserted.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The red screen would be result of the hardware issue. Try reseating all the components (HDD, Ram, etc) that you can get to, just in case it's one of them that is causing the problem. Otherwise the graphics card may be at fault.

Again this is all assumptions based on the info you've provided.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

thanks for the help ken - im off to go and have a look at it this afternoon - will report back any interesting findings :D

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would agree with Ken sounds like there is a major hardware fault but sometimes these can be easily sorted by reseating. My first thoughts would be graphics card is to why the red screen is appearing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

ok guys have checked the pc - it does the usual bios checks - then freezes on a black screen then on booting into safe mode it freezes when loading isapnp.sys - googleing this brings up a lot of ways of fixing but my windows xp cd doesnt give the option for repair / recovery console - really dont want to have to format this lot. any ideas chaps

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm.. is this official Microsoft media?

I have never seen an XP CD that doesn't give you those options :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What CD are you using here? Is it a full Windows XP CD or is it a PC restore type CD?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. MSDS KARLS

MSDS KARLS Banned

Hi,All:D:D
    Most likely something with ur graphics card or preferences (gamma level and such). check those and see if they are working all right.
    :):)
    Best Wishes
    Karls

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Karls, how do you check software settings like 'preferences', when your computer fails to boot up? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

My thinking is two possibles :

1) virus (I think it was the Biohazard virus that gave a red screen a few years back although that was after you booted into Xp)

2) I seem to also remember (again from way back - Pentium 1 days (!) ) that there was a board I came across that gave a red screen on a faulty m/b on boot

Do you have a POST card you can plug into a PCI slot which can give you some diagnostics whether it boots or not ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)