XP reboots

Discussion in 'Software' started by SimonV, Dec 17, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A friend has a XP home PC that for some reason will not update using windows online update. Everytime they try to update thier PC it reboots at different stages of the update with no error message.

Any ideas.

Si
    :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sounds a bit like Blaster!! but slightly different. Is the virus software up to date??

Just a thought

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Is it just during Windows Updates? Do they have any anti-virus software on the system? Is it a new computer or one that they've had for awhile and just updated the OS? Sorry. I ask a lot of questions when I troubleshoot.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

All questions that I've asked, I should have given you more info. The computer has been wiped. Its an emachine and she wiped it using the sys restore disk yesterday. I know because I was there and helped her through it.

It was the last thing of the day so didnt get all that much time to look into the problem, it only seems to do it when using windows update, you can surf the net (through our network) and nothing happens but try and update windows and the PC will restart at various points in the update.

It doesnt have and AV software on but I've recommended that she get some asap. It was wiped because it was so cluttered with all number of software apps and she wanted a fresh start, I was hoping somebody had come across that before.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...