xp pro

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dingy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

Having done A+ and N+,I'm going to do MCDST,but both my computers run xp home,so I was wondering if it is necessary or advisable to upgrade to xp pro? I can upgrade for £59 because my son is a student and I managed to lose the xp disc with one of the computers so it would be handy, but if it is a help for the MCDST that will probably decide it.So what should I do?

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

It could help in some aspects - like share and NTFS permissions as they aren't available on xp home for example.

That said, if you are using the MS Press books for 70-271 and 70-272 they come with a (I think) 6 month trial CD of XP Pro. Install this onto a virtual machine (either VMWare or Microsofts option) and you can play, install and break to your hearts content without breaking your own system.

On the issue of buying a licence for XP Pro - I think you'd be breaking the licence agreement once your son leaves education, as you will no longer be allowed to use it (someone feel free to correct me on this ?? )

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What Derkit says is correct.

If you have a copy of xp on one machine then put it on another you are breaking the license agreement. You do not own XP because you have paid for it Microsoft do. You have only paid for the privelage so to speak of having it on your PC.

I also agree that if you get the MS press book there is a free 120 day trial of xp pro that you could put onto a virtual machine and run it that way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

I am going to get the MS books so I'll do it that way,less hassle.

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another way to look at it is, how old is your son?

Even if he's 10 or 12 years old it would be worth getting XP Pro for the second machine. You still have a few years left that you can get the benefits of it (and other student software versions) that by the time that he is no longer a student XP will no longer be used.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685