xp pro users and permissions

Discussion in 'A+' started by fastrhino, Dec 8, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

i have been reading my all in one a+ and decided tp try out the user profiles and file permissions as discribed in chapter 11, i found nowhere near as many options as mike discribes, am i looknig in the worng place, or do i need to enable something to get the many optoions, i only have 2 user types to choose from, ie admin or limited and not as many permission options in file properties. :rolleyes:

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You need to be using an NFTS file system to get the options that I think you are refering too.

8)

3. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

how do i find out, my c drive is set to use ntfs, or is this not the only ntfs set up on here

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Right Click on you C: Drive > Properties.

It will say either file system: NTFS or FAT.

8)

5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

if i'm not mistaken you are using the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.

try instead with the Local Users and Groups snap-in in Computer Management.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i agree with omni on this one. you also need to ensure that you go into My Computer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>View and untick 'Use Simple File Sharing'

You can then use the account groups and permissions within the computer management MMC (Control Panel>>Administrative tools) so create groups and usernames - you can also set password expiry dates, etc.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

thank you all, i am not sat in front of my xp pro system now so i will try your suggestions out tomorrow, and after checking again i am using a ntfs file system on my c: drive

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are you sure this is XP pro? (silly questions 'r' us)

Admin and limited are the values for XP *home*. (If I remember correctly.)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I believe your right Harry, that is what struck me when I first read this post. I really do not rate XP Home, it's pants!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - cough - nothing wrong with XP home (IMHO). It is ideal for home users because it's simpler permissions system fits with people with little experience.

And the other limitations of home simply don't apply in a home enviroment (logon to domain, more machines networked, GPO editor etc).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know it's okay but it doesn't even have the functionality of W2K and yet it is the most common OS around here and everybody these days wants to network it. It's a bear :biggrin

Cough up the extra 100 bucks I tell clients and get Pro, then I can remote desktop into it and don't have to move too far away from my comfy zone 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Someone once described Home to me as Pro with all the good bits taken out :tune

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

yes it is xp pro, i paid extra to get an oem copy of ep pro when i bought all the hardware for my recent new build, and when i go to "about windows" it says windows professional version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.*******-****:service pack 2)

so what is going on?

all those who may be interested in my xp problems visit my new thread (where as my account gone?)