XP Pro system fonts issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bluerinse, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi guys and gals.

I have a Dell P4 running XP Pro, it is a workstation in a magazine production company, hence they have installed tons of additional fonts. They have done this to many of their workstations without problem but this one has developed this fault...

Some of the system fonts are randomly changing to things like windings or a large version of Comic Sans. On the logon screen, the one where you click on the picture of a user, the fonts are huge and unreadable. I have googled corrupted system fonts but can't really find any decent info on how to fix them. I have tried making them large and extra large, and then normal again but that doesn't work the same way as it did for windows 2000.

I have also run sfc /runnow and waited for an eternity for that to scan all the system files but it made no difference.

I may need to do a repair install or a complete fresh install but if anyone has any ideas how this can be fixed without such drastic measures I would like to know.

Thanks,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

You sure it's not a piece of naughty malware Pete?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Are all other graphics ok? Just text? :blink

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I don't think so Baba, though anything can happen with that crap.

I have actually sorted this now by doing a repair install, I would have liked to have avoided that because of the time it takes. However, no quick response on the forum, as it was down for a couple of hours and I couldn't even read your post until now.

So all seems to be hunky dory now guys and if you get this issue, a repair will fix it, thankfully :wink:

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Did the problem just start and if it did what did they install before it started? If it's been going on for longer maybe it's worth checking the display properties and 're-setting' the fonts for all the system components again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Apparently the problem has been going on for weeks but the girl who sits at it doesn't mind, the fonts in programs work fine.

I did check the display properties and tried changing the system font size, there was no actual option to re-setting the fonts. In earlier versions of windows, this would have given me a prompt to install the fonts from the Windows CD but for the life of me, I couldn't find that option in XP.

If I have missed something Nugg, pray tell :rolleyes:

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Having previously done IT support for a printing company which did all of the designs in Adobe Writer with many custom fonts I feel your pain!

I could be wrong but it sounds like some of the default Windows fonts have been overwritten or corrupted. From memory there is generally three entries for each font, one for normal, one for italic and one for bold.

Generally a repair install will fix the problem but the following link might help.

Approach 2 looks useful..

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-to-fix-windows-xp-font-problems.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Sparky, that is what I was looking for. I have bookmarked it for reference in the future!