XP/NTFS File Security

Discussion in 'Software' started by kelton, Oct 15, 2003.

1. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Is there any way to access files from an old HD that is NTSF.

Specifically Im wanting to go into my old documents folders to copy a few things I didnt backup.

This isnt a major concern as the current HDD with this data is being left untouched and will go in another box with the same mobo and 50% of the hardware it was with before.... just will be a week till I get that done.

Any way of gaining access to these files?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

kelton,

You don't say if you've been getting errors whilst trying to do this, or have you yet to try it ?

If you're getting errors, then I'd first make sure you had identical Admin credentials for both the new set-up, and the files left on the old drive.

If so, then you could try taking ownership of the files you want to copy (if you can't copy them straight away, that is). Failing that, I'd guess it's a SID problem (the Security Identification makes every user account absolutely unique, so even a re-created account with same name and p/w will have diff SID, and therefore not have the same rights)

If this is the case, I think you may have to carry your file copying out at a command prompt "from DOS", before Windows gets it's hands on the system.

These are just some initial thoughts, probably wildly wrong, but I'll think over this one, as I'm sure the rest of the Guys'n'Gals will do too.

EDIT: Actually, I hadn't fully read your question, kelton :oops:

If the old HDD is getting dropped in a re-built PC (which is what I think you meant ?), then all you'll need to do is share the My Docs folder on it, and once you're all networked together, make sure you have suitable rights to access the share from the new PC, and VIOLA - you got your old files back.

Dangnabbit, I'm good for an Armadillo 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Yup, I know it was a simple as making sure they were shared... however I didnt do it and now the new machine is built :)

I'm basicaly getting an access denied error opening the folder up.

Ive creates an account the same as my old one - no luck.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry if I was stating what you already knew, kelton :oops:

So can you see the files from the new HDD ? If so, have you tried taking ownership ?

Further to that, I'll think on and see what me old memory comes up with .....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Yup, tried but it just tells me acess denied.

6. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

The accounts on the two machines must match in terms of both username and password. So, for example user1 with a password of machine must exist on both machines, although you only need user1 logged onto the machine you are accessing the files from. User1 woul need (at least) change permission for the share and (probably) modify NTFS permissions.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA