XP Laptop Invalid Product Code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Markyboyt, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Looking for a bit of advice.
    My friends laptop has decided the product key is invalid when he tries to log in to windows XP.
    It is has been working fine for quite some time but now he gets the error. The machine boots up and gets to XP's logon screen but when he clicks his name he is shown a window saying the product key is invalid and giving him the option of trying another product key, contacting toshiba or something else which he couldnt remember. He has tried re-entering the product key from the xp label on the laptop in case it had lost it but that didnt work.

Any initial ideas what could cause this issue? Sounds to me like something is corrupted but im not sure what.

thanks in advance
    Mark

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First thing to do is what it suggests - contact Tosh. You also need to get the history for the lappy - this may be very important.

This has probably happened because of an update where the checks are more stringent. While there have been quite a lot of cases where the system was mistaken, and the license was in fact valid, there have been even more where someone has played fast and loose with the system.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've seent his happen to client's machines when a wipe/reload has been done by a shop with a hooky copy and they've not used the provided restore mechanism.

To be safe, either refer to Toshiba or copy off any data and used the provided restore cd's (or maybe have to create them off a partition) and try that.

If that still fails then refer again to Tosh or MS

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

This happened to me too, I rang microsoft, they provide an automated system... select activate now -> Over phone -> You should receive a number, type that into the phone... follow instructions, you basically get a number back... then windows should activate... the number to call is free too i think.

Certifications: A+, N+
  5. Markyboyt

Just to update on this, the laptop is actually vista not xp like i first thought, it is now in my posession for tinkering a little later

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

1-888-571-2048 US

Not sure what the UK number is or if you have to use this number.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Markyboyt,

Check the laptop to see if it has a valid Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it. Here's a link to help determine if the laptop has a valid Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it. Here's also a link to determine some known counterfeit COAs.

Source:
    1. Certificate of Authenticity (COA) - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa
    2. Counterfeit Gallery - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. Markyboyt

Microsoft say to go start, computer, properties, click here to activate now then select the method and follow instructions, not ideal when in reduced mode so i dont have a start menu. I can get into control panel and the C drive etc but
    not into that option. if i go into system there is an activate now option but it throws me out saying the product key is invalid.

9. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I would try calling Microsoft again? Explain that too them? Not sure where to go from here.

10. Markyboyt

I havent actually called them yet, I have emailed the tech support and included a genuine advantage diagnostic report that it suggested I did. I rang the automated line but it wanted a number that i presume is given by the OS when I select the activate by phone option, would be ideal if i could get to it lol

11. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

I had a problem with windows activation.. my Vista business key I got free from college didn't work after I wiped my computer. It wouldn't let me activate.

So, I rang up Microsoft, spoke to some random indian person, explained the situation, and five minutes later she'd given me a key to put in and it worked.

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  12. Markyboyt

I rang them up,got a guy who after 5 minutes transferred me to the 'technical' dept i then spent 50 minutes talking to a quite useless indian lady, then she rang me back for 30 minutes and now she has referred it to the research team who are calling me back tomorrow night.

in our 80 minutes of conversation most was spent on hold while she checked her resources lol.

lets see how tomorrow pans out.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Translated: "read her scripts". :rolleyes:

Hope you get the problem worked out!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Markyboyt

yeah and me, cant really call them again, needs to be them calling me now lol, 50 mins on mums phone bill when its not my computer, best not tell her lol

15. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I would have said pass me to someone who knows what there doing...

If you don't get things sorted tomorrow, kick up a fuss and you'll be sorted in no time.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What?!? It's not toll free? :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Markyboyt

No, is an 0870 number, not sure what the rate is, didnt really plan on being on so long really

18. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If you need to ring them again, this may help. (I use it loads, saved a small fortune).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I will never understand why people have problems with Product Activation - On the myriad occasions when something has gone wrong for me (usually with home jobs) with activation, I've just rung the activation phoneline and either gone through the phone menu and got a new key, or just been put through to someone who asked me whether the key has ever been used before, and answered 'no' - voila, new key provided.

I've had issues where the copy of XP I was asked to 'fix' was a jekyll copy in the first place, but never had a problem with a legit copy. In my experience, just act like you are ****ed off, rather than shy and retiring, and you never get a problem.

BTW - I must have had to do this at least 100 times over the years

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Phone MS, just say the hard drive has failed and you need to reinstall windows. Easy. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs