XP home problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThomasTheCrazyFool, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ThomasTheCrazyFool

ThomasTheCrazyFool Bit Poster

hi all

i have a mate who has xp home installed on his computer, every time he tries to open task manager he gets a message telling him its been blocked by his admin, i dont understand how though cos there is another user on the pc that can go on task manager.

i thought on xp home there are only two types of account, admin and user, and security policies cannot be applied to single users (i dont no for sure though cos i only have access to xp pro) so how can it only be blocking him and not the other user?

thanks 2 any1 replyin in advance an sorry if this is just a totally simple question that makes me sound really stupid :oops:

WIP: MCP Then MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Has your mate got Admin rights? (the one who cannot get the task manager up)

3. ThomasTheCrazyFool

yeah he does, both him and the other user are computer administrators

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

my mate done this before to his users, and it was in the administrative templates under Group Policy settings, but cant remember where it was?

5. ThomasTheCrazyFool

i thought that when he first asked me but xp home doesnt support groups and im not sure if there is a group policy settings on it

6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

There is also the limited user account has he used this by mistake ?

I have also seen this happen when i virus is present to stop you from getting to the task manager to shut things down

Has is been virus scanned recently ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. ThomasTheCrazyFool

yeah sorry i meant limited account when i said user account i got mixed up, he is defo an admin though

thanks for the virus tip ill get him 2 look into it because i dont remember seeing any virus software on his pc, just anti-spyware, wud a virus not affect the other user as well though?

8. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

In theory you would think that it would affect all users but then again with viruses you never can tell :blink

let us know how you get on

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just a quick thought, have you checked out the local security policies on the PC (Administrative Tools -> local security policy). In there you can specify individual users, local groups etc, what they can access, what they can't etc... very similar to group policy on a domain. SP2 does upgrade quite alot, including security on WinXP.

Not sure if it's the answer to your problem, like I said, just a quick thought.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Another other thing that I can think of is that the user profile is corrupt.

Create another admin user, then log on with the new account, see if that account has full access.

Another thing you can try (if you're going down this route) is to log in as another user, rename the affect user profile in "documents & Settings" log out, log back in as the affected user, this will recreate the profile on the local PC, then just copy over the files from the old profile.

Hope you get it sorted.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just for the record XP Home does not have gpedit.msc

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT