XP finished next year

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6551429.stm

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Crito

Crito Banned

Slashdot had a link to this article yesterday:
    Windows XP to be phased out by year's end despite customer demand

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I really like windows XP a lot, and I have used vista and vista doesnt seem to be better then xp at the moment. Maybe when service pack 1 comes out it will be better.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I think corporate use will stay with Windows XP Pro for the next couple of years at least while Vista beds in. Our company has only just migrated onto XP these last few months and wont plan on the upgrade for a couple of years.

The new dell systems we are currently getting in have Vista with them and are getting flattened and loaded with XP Pro, I would imagine the same goes for a number of other small-med size buisnesses.

I think what I remember from a quote from one of the US Governmental Departments was "There are many more reasons not to move onto Vista, than reasons to move onto it"

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's not as bad as I thought, it's only on new PC's (ie OEM versions) for business with SA, we can only wipe Vista off and install XP. It's mainly going to affect home users.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, you can wipe Vista off and install XP, but you still have to buy those XP licenses from somewhere. Hopefully we can buy them for a couple more years directly from MS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

geez - need to get upgrade my machine and learn vista soon then!

8. Kitkatninja

Or if you can wait, the next version of Windows (vienna) should be out in 2 years times.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Are they being serious? We just got vista and now they going to feed us more? LOL they might as well join fedora core and release OS's every 6 months! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

You think Microsoft is bad? Try Apple, they seem to have a habit of releasing a new OS every year never mind 2 and a half!! Talking of which I better check if Leopard is out yet. See what the buzz is on that...

As for XP being no longer available from next year...well its happening sooner than I thought...I mean look how long it took MS to stop support for Win 98...and people are still complaining about that.

Saying that I have Vista and I am pleased with it...not many problems to deal with (few niggles here and there but thats expected until a new service pack is out).

Overall peeps, it will take a lot of us some years till we are all using Vista...but the big question is: Will Vienna be released at the time MS have said it will be released?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Kitkatninja

Don't know if they'll release when they say they will release it. There are some rumors that it'll just install as a bolt on to Vista, but there are other rumors that it'll be a new OS. Who know's?

But if we have to refresh the MCITP cert every 3 years, this could be a bonus, we don't and just take the exam for the new OS instead :)

-Ken