XP Drivers for OEM Vista Acer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

I recently bought an Acer Aspire M3201 that natively comes with Vista OS - but I chose to have Windows XP installed instead.

Last weekend my hard drive was playing up (I'm guessing it was a problem with the disc or controller on the mobo) so I returned the desktop and had the HDD replaced under warranty. Yesterday I picked it up from the shop and noticed that my NIC wasn't assigning any IP details from my broadband router - on closer inspection it seems that the drivers for my ethernet card haven't been installed.

Off I went to Acers site - but as the PC is usually shipped with Vista, I can't seem to find any XP ethernet drivers :(

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction :p

Cheers guys.

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Click Me Please

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just as a quick check have you tried looking in the root of the C:\ drive for the drivers? Sometimes you can get a directory in there called drivers or build and everything you need will be in there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Sparky - no such directories on the machine. My other vista machine does have though :x:biggrin

craigie - cheers for that. I had originally found that site and downloaded a .rar zipped files. I've now just gone back and found the actual rar file with the setup.exe ; this one seems to actually install the driver :biggrin The one I downloaded orginally seems to be an update for the existing driver, which allows for the adjustment of certain parameters.

Will try this tonight, thanks!

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+