XP Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Makaveli, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Guys,

We have XP Pro on a network, and we have a standard desktop background load for everyone. I wanted to know if there is a way to change the desktop picture permanantly on a individual profile? Is there a file in Winxp > profiles that can be modified?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you have a company policy which dictates a standard desktop for everyone. Why does this individual want something different?

It sounds to me like you have a group policy in place which is controlling the wallpaper of your XP workstations but you haven't made this clear. Are you running Active Directory?

If this is the case, it depends how it has been set up. There is a setting in GPO, that sets a *no override* status. If that has been set then you are going to get that policy. If not then it is possible.

You might also want to google mandatory user profiles.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I think we are running active directory, is there a way of checking?

If were not how would I go about changing it permanantly? I can change the desktop picture but when I restart it defaults back...

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm almost certain that your network is running Active Directory and your desktop and probably many other features on the network PCs are controlled by GPOs. I know in a lot of enterprise organizations, Someone in upper management decide to standardize all of the company computers so that they can only be customized by the end user in a limited (if at all) fashion. That means you can change your wallpaper during a session, but once you logout and log back in, the GPO reapplies the domain default.

As far as trying to tell if your network uses Active Directory, if you are signing on to your Windows computer using "[email protected] and then inputting your password, the it's an AD network. Also, if your logon box has three fields, User name:, Password:, and Log on to: and a dropdown menu on Log on to: lets to select either the local machine or the domain name, you're probably on an AD domain. I've attached an image of a Windows XP logon box so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi Trip!

Yes we have a domain box, so looks like AD.

Thanks

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, if you are logging into a domain, the domain controller has a copy of the Active Directory database and one of it's functions is to apply GPOs (group policy objects) to the user and or computer.

You didn't answer my question below Makaveli :rolleyes:

If you have a company policy which dictates a standard desktop for everyone. Why does this individual want something different?

Trip this isn't always the case, you certianly can log on with the above type syntax although it doesn't have to be .com it could be *dot* anything (domain.local for example) or you can log on just with a username/password and domain name.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My bad. I grabbed the first example out of my hat. You are correct, of course.
    :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Its me, I like to be different! lol. We are not customer facing so its ok, I dont want a :eek: desktop or anything, just dont want to be looking at the company logo 24/7!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lol, *If* you were working Makaveli, you wouldn't see the wallpaper :twisted:

To be honest, I think you could cause a bit of friction with the IT guys that have a policy for a standard desktop, if you were to bypass or block the policy. How would you react in their shoes?

10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Well the boss has said you can change it if you like, and one of the guys changes his to a pic of the football team he supports, so I know its not an isssue.... but I can see where your coming from!

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's likely to be too difficult for you to make the necessary changes to block the policy to your computer or undo the mandatory profile configuration and you would most likely need admin privileges to attempt it.

I would have a word with one of the IT support people, tell them your manager is happy for you to chose the wallpaper and see what he/she says.

12. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have admin privileges, just a case of making a trip to the server room I guess. But Ive only been with the company a few weeks so its probably best I dont try and be too different :tongue

Thanks for the advise Bluerinse

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No worries Maka, good luck :D