XP and 2000 dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Davver, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Hi All!

Just wanted to ask a few things, seeing as this conundrum (thanks carole) has been baffeling me for about 2 weeks:

1. I wish to install Windows 2000, on a SLAVE drive which, is formatted and set up ready for install.

2. Windows XP doesn't let me do it, saying that it's an older version so disables the ability to install.

I have read about certain ways of getting around it, but none seem to have worked. I think this maybe me though.

Questions for ya:

Q1. How do I set up my drives?

Q2. How do I set up the Duel Boot sequence, without XP throwing a paddy fit?

Q3. Is the grass really greener on the other side or is it only because it's new grass, it feels like a change?

Ta!

Davver

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I thought maybe one good link was worth a thousand words. Here you go.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Trip is the king!!! Great link Trip! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Trip, you rock man!

Cheers for that. It will all help with the practice for my A+. Good to know we got good people who do actually know what I'm talking about!

Thanks again fella!

Davver

p.s. For the life of me, I couldn't find that bit at all!

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Google is your friend. :biggrin I can actually appear smarter than I really am just by knowing how to search. Glad I (and Google) could help.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hi Davver,

It is possible to install W2K after XP.

First you have to boot in using your W2K CD (set your first boot device in the BIOS to CDRom). Let it install as normal.

Once the installation has finished and you go to boot back into XP you won't be able to, as W2K will have overwritten XP's boot files. In order to remedy this problem, all you have to do is boot to the recovery console. Select 'R' to repair and log on using your password (if it's PRO you have installed, Home dosen't ask for a password)

You will find yourself at a command prompt C: Type in the command FIXBOOT and answer Y. Change to the drive to that's your CDRom e.g E: and type in the following:

copy i386\ntldr c:
    copy i386\ntdetect.com c:
    Answer Y to overwrite both files

EXIT the recovery console and hey presto you should be able to boot back into XP with W2K installed alongside it.

NB Make sure you install W2K to a different partition or hard drive.

Any questions just ask.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA