xoq100

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by xoq100, Dec 28, 2006.

1. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Hi,

Just about to buy my A+ book for the cert, I was reading through the guide to self study, and on what is listed to be the most popular study guide, A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide the edition is from November '03. Zimbo (sp?) said that there would be a new edition in September but I can't find it... Would it matter much if I used the '03 edition? I plan to buy an exam cram as well, plus one of the lab guides.

Sorry to ask a long question in the welcome section, I'm Hal, and I live in Northern England. :D

Hal.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Which edition you buy depends on which exam you go for. There is still (just) enough time to sit the 2003 exams - so that book should be the one.

If you decide to sit the newer exams the new edition is now expected next month I believe.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

So does that mean i'm in a crack? I would like to get started asap, but it will take a few months to learn the material I assume. Do I have to wait for the new addition as by the time i've learn't the material i'll be sitting the '06 exam. :(

Hal.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on how 'few' those months are!

You have 6 months to do the old set. If you think that is too short then wait for the new book.

In *theory* a lot in the old book will be relevant, but there has been a change in emphasis in the new exams, which might be off-putting with the wrong book.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, you've got 6 months to take the old version. If you know you'll be taking the new version of the exam, then you'll have to wait for the new edition (6th?) to come out - it should be out before the end of January. Trip's book, which covers the new objectives, is already out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Dang it, I hate being rushed! :dry -- I don't know how long on average it takes for most people to complete the exam. I'm not an utter newbie to this, I've been fidiling with computers for ages, I can profiecenly put togheter custom PC's and servers etc but I guess thats quite basic for this realm. Damn, damn damn! :cry:

Hal.

7. BosonMichael

This question might be moot if CompTIA had stuck to their original Dec 31 (US)/Mar 30 (UK) retirement dates for the 2003 exams. But with 6 months... you might have time, you might not.

It doesn't matter how long it takes most people... you are unique. If I told you I didn't study at all (since I took the A+ well into my IT career), but it took my brother a year to study, what would you have learned about how long it will take you? It all depends on your particular experience level, your study habits, whether you take computer-based exams well, how well you retain information, your current responsibilities (job, wife, kids), etc.

Thus, we can't say how long it should take you, and if we did, we'd be doing you a disservice... we'd either tell you a time frame that was far too long, thereby allowing you to put the exam off unnecessarily... or we'd tell you a time frame that was far too short, thereby not allowing you to prepare adequately, or at least, stressing you out when you know you're not ready, but you feel you must "beat the date".

I always always always advise that people study till they think they're ready to take the exam... neither set a date that you sleepwalk towards, nor set a date that you cram towards. Study till you're ready. Not so easy in this situation, though, since you've got that 6-month wall in front of you.

So here's my advice: since you've got some experience dealing with PCs, pick up the old version of the book. Study it, see what's on it, get a feel for whether you think you can be ready for both exams in 6 months. Worst case scenario, you look at it, realize you need more than 6 months, and you're out just a little bit of money for the book (or you sell the book to minimize losses). Or, if you decide to try to study it to make the deadline date, then miss the date, the knowledge isn't wasted... knowledge is knowledge, and is always useful. At that point, you'd pick up the 2006 book and "fill in the holes" not covered in the 2003 book.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Thanks BrainBeacon Michael, that was helpfull. I think I'll get the book and like you say, analyze what stage I'm at. Thanks for your help.

I'm planning on taking Network+ and Server+ afterward as well, all self-study... I'm not so dominant fund wise. :p

I have all time in the world, still young and have everyday to sit down and look at my books. :D - So I guess it'll be easier than someone having to jugle wife/kids/job about.

9. BosonMichael

Self-study's what I always recommend, dominant funds or not. ;)

Now's absolutely the best time for you to invest time in studying. I'm sure you can imagine how quickly all that spare time dries up when you get older!!! :eek:

10. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Haha, I bet. :p -- Still, it looks like you do alright with the certs. :)

Hal.

11. BosonMichael

I was paid for 4 1/2 years to get certified. 8)

12. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Sweet! :biggrin

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Hal 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered my A+ complete study guide. Should be here soon. :)

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Hal. Are you related to either of these Hals?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You know, you're going to need a lab book to go along with your study guide. You might consider this one: PC Technician Street Smarts published by Sybex. :oops: :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Hehe, nope, I'm not aware of those relations. :p

Thanks for the link, would you advise getting that book over the lab guides fetured in Zimbo's guide to self study?

Thanks for the welcome as well. :)

Hal. (jordan :p)

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm a bit biased since I'm the author. :oops:

You might want to ask the other troops around here...those who have read it at least. Also, you can download a pdf of the first quarter of the book from the link I previously posted. That should give you a good idea of what the book's like in general. I've just created an errata page on my site. Fortunately, it only has one entry so far. :wink:

19. xoq100

xoq100 Bit Poster

Thanks, I'll wait for some more replys then.

Any chance of freebie? :dry :p

Hal.

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Not exactly. The cost of me mailing books from the US to the UK is staggering. However, I am sending several over "the pond" via "special courier" due to arrive in January. They'll be used as prizes for a yet-to-be-announced contest here at CertForums. You'll have your shot at one just like everyone else. :biggrin