WSUS - Installing updates on shutdown only. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbrown, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mbrown

mbrown Bit Poster

Hi

I am considering the possibility of implementing WSUS on our network. I have put in place a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server. All the prerequisites for WSUS have been met, and therefore i have WSUS 3 SP2 installed. I have setup a GPO for one computer in a test OU with the group policy settings for WSUS updates. Please see a screenshots below/attached

1.jpg 2.jpg

In the above screen capture, you will see that i have specified a time to install, however to cause minimal disruption, i want the updates to install on shutdown only. They can download automatically, however i only want updates to install on shutdown.

Can any one let me know if this is possible?

Kind regards

Matthew

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

isn't that what option 4 does - downloads, but schedules the install for next Shutdown?

That's how I've understood it previously anyway...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What disruption? Just push out the updates – as long as you don’t force the OS to prompt for a reboot you should be fine.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

We have ours set to install at about 8pm every night then do a reboot and then shutdown

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or get SCCM and use maintenance windows and collections instead?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. mbrown

mbrown Bit Poster

Hi option 4 requires you to specify a time for install. The only reason i asked is because when installing in normal hours, we were receiving complaints that computers were running slow