Resolved WSUS Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am migrating the Metadata and the configuration settings from WSUS 2 on one server and onto wsus 3 on another server. I've done this a few times already, using wsutil and the wsusmigrateexport.exe.

basically I migrate the metadata using the command wsutil.exe export c:\temp\metadata.cab c:\temp\metadata.log works with no problems

then I try to export the configuration settings with the following command: wsusmigrateexport.exe c:\temp\settings.xml all none.

I've done this a few times on my other two servers and it worked with no issues.

The configuration is as follows.

I've setup a main wsus 3 server in the HQ office, I then created replica WSUS 3 servers in the remote offices which are already equipped with wsus 2 at the moment ... I copied the wsuscontent updates to the new servers I am migrating two and then I would run the commands above to export the metadata and config settigns and then import the settings to the new server.

This worked for me well a few times, meaning all the approvals, etc were kept. Also I am migrating from WSUS 2 on a windows 2000 server going to WSUS 3 on windows 2003 server.

The error that I am getting is:

WsusMigrationExport failed with the below exception!
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Upda
    teServices.Administration, Version=3.0.6000.273, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken
    =31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file s
    pecified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration, Version=3.0.6000.273, Cultu
    re=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
    at Microsoft.WsusMigrationTools.ExportServerStatus.DumpData(XmlTextWriter dat
    aWriter)
    at Microsoft.WsusMigrationTools.WsusMigrationTool.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\M
    icrosoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure lo
    gging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fus
    ion!EnableLog].

I noticed that there is some registry modifications I have to make, but I don't have any of those registry keys, so should I create them?

I've looked on google and there are very similar issues but not with WSUS but more of ASP stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreicated. If I can't figure it out, my other option would be to install WSUS 2 on the new server, do a sync and upgrade to wsus 3...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This would be the quicker option mate. Also you may end up with an unstable WSUS install if you have to hack around with reg keys etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's what I am leaning towards to be honest... a lot less hassle and works well (I've done that type of migration as well in the past)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just an FYI to those that are migrading to WSUS 2 to 3 by using the method above, meaning installing wsus2 on a new server synchronizing with the old wsus 2 server and then doing an in place upgrade to wsus3, make sure to use SQL Express 2005 or any other SQL versions other than the MSDE if you have a big database. Your server will stop synchronizing once it hits the 2gb limit which is what imposed with the MSDE.