wsus 3 GPO's

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

am I being a div or when you configure wsus through a gpo, when the clients receive the update they still have to click on the yellow shield to actually install the update. so it would be possible for users just to ignore the "little yellow shield". Is there a way through gpo or wsus administration to force the updates to install.

Just about to test out putting a deadline on updates that are in the past to see if that forces the install.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think you can just schedule the install for a particular time on the same policy. This then bypasses any user intervention.

Linky poo's!

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You can definitely force the updates to install. You can configure this setting through a GPO. I know when I was setting it up you could pick from download the updates to download the updates and install, etc. I did this for practice on wsus 3 a while back so I don't remember the wording exactly but it was something like that.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes If you set the deadline for the update to sometime in the past that seems to force the update to install on the clients, but I the info on the linky looks good thanks for that!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You don't need to mess around with GPOs to force the install. In the WSUS settings you can configure the installation of the updates to run at a certain time without interaction of the end users.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. chrisgatguis

chrisgatguis New Member

As far as i'm aware you need to set:
    Configure Automatic Updates: to Enabled, and specifiy option 4: "Auto Download and schedule the install".

then select a time for it to happen.

you may have already done that.