Written Offer??

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by xntrix18, Nov 26, 2007.

1. xntrix18

xntrix18 New Member

I recently received a verbal job offer early last week, with a written offer to follow shortly after. It has almost been a week and I have not yet heard anything back. Should I contact them to find out what is going on?? How do I ask this question with out coming across pushy?

Last time I spoke with them i stated that I needed to give at least 1 wks notice, which they said was fine, they wanted me to start on dec 3rd, but by the looks of it that will not happen, I will have to give my notice today. I will not give my notice until I have written contract in my hands.

2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

xntrix18,

Can't say that I blame you for not giving notice until you have something in writing. Have you thought about calling in case a written offer was misplaced in the post. You would hope that a prospective employer would display a little better professionalism than that, but accidents do happen.

By touching base with them, it displays a sincere interest in the position offered, and also serves as a reminder in the event that something unforseen has come up.

Good Luck,
    Bill

3. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

a verbal contract is worth the paper it is written on.
    i would give them a call just to see if it got lost in the post in the nicest way possible.
    i would also agree with you not giving notice until you get that letter in your hand because you never know what could happen.

best of luck

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

I would never sit back and wait on a verbal. If you give notice and later find out that a prospective employer has gone back on their word, you're without a job and have no way of proving the offer was ever made. A verbal agreement is only as good as the person that makes it.

I'm not sure how the laws govern "verbal agreements" there, but there's an old saying here. "If it's not in writing, it never happened." How well do you know the person that made the offer?