writing to companies and asking for work experience?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, May 9, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Is this a good idea? Or is it abit to forward?

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

@Juelz Screw it mate what have you got to loose. I'd appreciate a keen enthusiastic letter from someone if I were a hiring manager (thankfully I'm not ha ha). Just don't worry if you get ignored, I did similar when I was doing my A'Levels and not wanting to go to Uni to be a Biochemist. I wrote to every bank going and distinctly recall only the bank of England replying saying they would keep me on record. For some reason I wanted to work for a bank way back then. They probably saved me from being Nick Leeson 2 ha ha (worth a google deffo if you've not heard of him!)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

As JK says, you have nothing to lose.

As well as companies, try the education sector. I think you will have more luck with them as they are always strapped for cash so would welcome the free labour and you get some hands on experience. My role now involves me working in education and when I had the interview, they commented on my work experience in a school and a university and asked what it involved etc. So get some of that behind you and it will look good when you apply.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Oro

Oro Bit Poster

Just a heads up as it seems you really want to get into IT.

Try volunteering if you can. Do-it (https://do-it.org/) have been advsertising their vacancies on LinkedIn. May be worth looking there as well if you want some experience.

Certifications: Comptia A+