WoW - The Return of Novorak?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Fergal1982, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've been considering a return to WoW recently. I stopped playing about 6 months ago, when it was just getting boring and repetitive.

In all honesty, I think we just overplayed it. home from work - onto WoW - bed. all week (and we werent even raiding).

After an extended break, I'm tempted to get back into it now though. Just not too much.

So, what are the major changes im going to love about it?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Always been more of a Call of Duty man myself :p

but I'm looking forward to this when it's up and running :

http://www.stargateworlds.com/

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

that is tempting....

found this. if anyone is interested.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not quite my cup of tea.

I tend to prefer FPS as I find it quite relaxing running around shooting people :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With so many "pay once" and free games out there, I can't see a reason to pay a monthly subscription fee for a game... even something as (likely to be) enjoyable as WoW.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

I finally upgraded to the Burning Crudsade so am having some fun with the new races. Currently on the road M-F so am only playing on weekends though. Which isn't so bad as I always have a full level of rested bonus saved up for Friday night.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've never played that game either, I mostly play Call of Duty 4 for xbox 360 for now... the only computer game that I play would be Counter strike source.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I've played WoW twice now, once to level 60 and the 2nd time to level 70 when TBC came out. In the end I always quit because it's so boring.

I'm a FPS player at heart and I've tried many games like COD4, BF2 / 2142 etc. but nothing ever compares to Quake. The main issue is always that it's class a > class b > class c > class a. I prefer my games to be entirely skill dependant and for that reason I'll never be able to play MMORPG's (and class based FPS games) for long periods of time.

I'm back on Quake 3 and loving it right and the main reason for my return was my beta access to Quakelive -www.quakelive.com :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

in the 5 months ive been playing my main char is just about to hit lvl 70 with about another 6 i'm working on. i'm started to get bored especially with questing, i spend most of my time dungeoning now.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Crito

Crito Banned

WoW to me is a more of a glorified chat program than a RPG. I probably spend >50% of my time typing or talking (via in-game voice chat) with friends and <50% actually playing the game. I guess that's why my highest lvl char is just 56. :rolleyes:

I can usually be found on Moonrunner. It's a PvP server so if you get bored questing and grinding you can always attack your fellow players. ;)

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I didn't like WOW I saw how it drained the life of my friend who is now successfully rehabilitated :D I prefer FPS games like Crysis. I can't wait for the new Far Cry :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

its very addictive and the size of the game doesnt help either. i manged nearly 2m xp points over the weekend, i realised if you enter an instance rested you get 200% xp and it doesnt change to normal. my hunter was getting 1600 points per kill in shadow labyrinth :)

i cant wait for wrath of the lich king 8)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The new expansion pack "Wrath of the Lich King" should be coming out soon.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

I'm looking forward to Stargate Worlds too :D

The only problem with WoW is that you pay for it monthly and as a result sometimes you feel compelled to go and play it simply so you're not wasting your money. You then realise that it's pointless, and you go and join a private server really easily, save yourself cash, and get instant level 70 to go and start having fun on the raids if you so wish! x)

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  15. Crito

Crito Banned

It's just not the same without lots of people... better way to socialize than guzzling booze in a bar anyways. :p

They do charge too much though. That's why I sometimes cancel my account for months at a time.

16. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

To be honest I tried WOW and it left me cold to a large degree, very little character customisation and I didnt like the art style. Also the fact I had just come from city of heroes just rubbed that in...

I try to stay away from MMOs but I have preordered Warhammer Age of Reckoning to get into the Beta to try that. Oh well there goes my weekends...

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  17. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

I used to play WoW, up until around 5 months ago, but then I decided to stop. It had become boring, with the game full of those people who don't want to put effort into their characters and AFKing their way to the rewards. It wasn't the first time I quit, and the reason why I played for so long was because of the friends I made on it, even though I spent most of my time on other servers.

Although I was never a huge fan of raiding, the way raiders have been treated is shameful. With their loot rewards for killing bosses worse than the Player Vs Player rewards unless they had cleared all boss in all dungeons, there was no reason to put any effort into raiding. The PvP rewards are so easy to get compared to PvE loot that PvE has basically died.

Arena killed PvP in WoW. The old (pre-TBC) ranking system was far from perfect, but at least it rewards comparable with effort. The best PvP loot (more or less) equalled the best PvE loot. You had to have cleared most of AQ40 to get better loot.

With pre-TBC PvP, you had to put effort in to win, because if you didn't win, you didn't get enough honor to get the rewards and ranks. Now you can just afk and just wait for the honor to roll in, as it didn't matter if you won or lost, you would still get the rewards.

Although, if you were constantly losing, it would take a bit more time to get the same reward, the fact remained, that you didn't have to put any effort into winning as you would still get that reward eventually.

This annoyed a lot of pre-TBC PvP players, and it annoyed a lot of pre-TBC PvE players including me, a Rank 14 PvP player (don't start with the no-life jokes :p ).

I don't know if WoW has changed much in the past 5 months I haven't been playing, but I seriously doubt it.

WIP: A+
  18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Like you i had tried WOW after playing CoH for almost 3 years. I didnt like the graphics (too cartoony) and the customosation was almost nill compared to CoH. And i just couldnt find ppl to group with at the lower levels.
    I'm also trying to get into the Beta for WHAoR, and will trythat once its released. However i have heard that GW are planning to produce a WH40K based MMORPG, Can't remeber who with and it will be a few years off yet.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  19. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I will drop you my address once its released.

I would prefer a 40K MMO, but I don't see how you would make it fun. I had a play with Tabla Rasa for a bit and it didnt feel as involving as COH as it was all ranged and no real focus on team play.

I have to say in all the ones I have played I have never felt that "click" I felt with coh.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  20. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yep, i tried TR in beta and didnt liek it that much. Mind you the first level was all solo and there were too many bugs to make it work.

I always found CoH more enjoyable, either soloing or as part of a team or Taskforce. I just quit as when issue 9 went live with the inventions, it just started to feel like any other game. And most of teh big guys i used to team with were leaving. Biggest problem was after reaching lvl 50 there was really nothing to aim for, just lots of missions for no real character benefit (Who needs more costume parts when you already have 5 costume slots filled??)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,