WOW i can tell this forum is gonna help me

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Marvel Marcus, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Marvel Marcus

Marvel Marcus New Member

Hey

Everyone hope all off us had a nice day, I am a 22 yr old lad who would like to get advice for starting my IT Career.:)

I have been able to build my own computer, set up LAN and WAN networks for friends and family and they call me the whizz kid in my office because i am good with all the printer photocopiers s and technical stuff basically in and around my work place.
    remove tricky bugs and virus from PC and now i am just starting to get to grips with Mac's. :twisted:

So i need a hand trying to get sum quallys under my belt:blink

Peace:oops:

MM

Certifications: None need help with this LOL
    WIP: i wanna get MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate, welcome to Cert Forums.

I'd recommend you take a look at CompTIA's A+ and N+ certifications first of all. They are vendor neutral and a great starting point to your IT career in a support role. http://certification.comptia.org/

Then I'd suggest you move onto your MCDST after the above http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx

MCSA and MCSE are high level certifications requiring 12-18 months experience so I'd try to get your first IT role with the A+/N+/MCDST first before attempting them.

Good luck and ask questions if you don't fully grasp something you have read studying for your certs.

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I agree with what jk2447 already said :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Marvel Marcus

Marvel Marcus New Member

Cheers mates

well thats the MCSA/E part now. what about CCNA, I Found a 2yr Part time course(CISCO Certified Network Associate CCNA at Croydon College)

I was told by a friend that CCNA have generally higher paid:twisted: jobs the Microsoft Quallys. What exactly is a cisco's network?

Checked a few jobs to and I like the pay as it could be used to invest more into myself maybe even do a pt degree course after, What do you recon?

Cheers again for all you help guys much appreciated.:oops:

MM

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Survey says... X

Put it this way, if you are unaware of what Cisco is, and how it interacts with networks, then you probably arent ready to sit that course yet. Generally, certifications are meant to demonstrate knowledge, rather than learn something new.

You would be much better advised (and will be) to start out with the 'entry level' certificates (A+ and/or N+), and get yourself into a networking job where you can get exposure to the technologies.

Also, if you are solely concerned about salary, prepare to have your dreams shattered. Its highly unlikely that you will get anything near the kinds of salary you are looking at in those jobs to start with. Get into the field you want to, because you enjoy doing it, not because of that $ signs flashing before your eyes. Trust me, in the long term you will be glad you did, when you arent doing a job you hate, just for the cash.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Marvel Marcus

Marvel Marcus New Member

I understand where you are coming from mate but money is one thing and IT is what i really enjoy doing because i noticed that after working a in administration for 4 yrs I can sit and fix and mess with computers allday.:twisted:( kinda **** i do at home and for friends and family)

Peace

MM

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Marvel Marcus

Marvel Marcus New Member

Cheers bro

MM

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

learn to walk before you can run.. as has been said.. those certs are not entry level certs, they are *advanced* certs. You need to build a foundation of knowledge before you embark down that road.

Being a Wiz to your friends and family is not the same as proper commercial experience.

Look for an entry level job, whilst you do, study entry level certs (A+ N+ MCDST) that can underpin your practical experience with theory. The certs alone are not going to help you.. it is the combination of certs and experience that is key.

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)