Would you

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 18, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

declare a modification on a new car if it meant your insurance premium going up?

I am about to get a new car but it has non standard 19" wheels on it, I am going to declare it but it means my premium going up by about £100

Obviousley if I didn't and I had a crash the insurance company may not cover me for not declaring the modification.

Would you risk it or do the right thing?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

yes I would tell them.

4/5 years ago I got a speeding tickets and it took me 3 months to declare it to the insurance company. Not good

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Personally, If I was forking out all this money for insurance, I'd want to make sure I was covered, so yeah, I'd declare it.

Is there also not a fraud issue here if you didnt declare it?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. greenbrucelee

Yes it is fraud and the insurance co are well within their rights not to cover you if you have an accident and also take youi court for falsifying information.

5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I would do mate to be honest. People may say they are great drivers, but you don't have to be driving your car for it to get damaged and to make a claim, and as you rightly say, it may be declared null and void for not giving the correct information. Seroiusly, I dented a bumper once in a very minor accident and had to put it through insurance, and bloody glad I did as the bill for fixing this bumper (had to hit a Merc, couldn't hit a bloody Fiat PAnda or something) was £600+ which I would have had to pay otherwise.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Same here, would definitely declare it. The last thing you want is to give the Insurance Company a loophole to crawl out of when you need them. If they can find a way to avoid paying they will.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. greenbrucelee

Some cost they put on fixing things on car are really stupid.

They'll get out of it if they can.

This car is a BMW 323 Ci coupe so obviously I want to protect it as much as possible.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Declare it mate, what if your car gets stolen and crashed? If it is being assessed the first thing that will be noticed is that there isn’t standard alloys on it. :cry:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee

I will do, its not worth it if they would say no to paying out.

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Also im sure it would help your peace of mind, nothing worse than being worried you will be found out for a lie.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

No, be safe not sorry.

WIP: C++ and A+
  12. greenbrucelee

I didn't think there would be much difference in the premium just because it has wheels that are not standaard, but is was about £100. It might make it look more attractive to steals but the wheels will be locked so its not as if someone will be able to steal them.

13. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

please say there not the ones which continue to spin ofter you have stopped.

14. greenbrucelee

nah, there only for tools :)

15. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

thank god for that,your credibility is still intact.:cheersLike you i cant see why you have to pay £100 more for a different set of alloys dos'nt make sence, is this a quote with your present insurer.

16. greenbrucelee

no, I went through gocompare.com I am with esure at the moment but they do not cover cars that have had modifications (not through the web site, I would have to phone them).

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would definately declare this as honesty is still the great policy in my books and plus it shows you're trustworthy. Well trust worthy to others who might not necessarily be trustworthy themselves.

Lastly insurance companies are rogues as even with evidence they still want to pay you peanuts:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

have you tried dedicated BMW Motor insurers. do a google search theres a few there.

19. greenbrucelee

I might have a look but they'll probably be a rip off BMW can be like that.

20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You cannot really blame the insurance companies for hitting you with an extra premium for non-standard equipment. Insurance companies base their prices on the specifications from the car's manufacturer. If you want to go down the route of sticking on non-standard parts then the insurance company have no option but to raise your premium to cover the risks involved. I bet that your alloys would cost more then £100 to replace if they were to be pinched! Seems like a good deal to me!

As for your false sense of security with regards to locking nuts - you can buy a universal locking nut socket set from screw-fix direct and this is what the AA, RAC and theiving tw@ts use to get an alloy off the hub! If you really want secure your alloys you'll either have to chain them to the strut or fit an anti-tilting sensor/alarm to your car...the latter may get you a discount with your insurance.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...