Would you take the job? Another interview coming soon!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just a quick "what would you do?" thread...

I have an interview coming up on thursday, it could be the job for me, it's an IT Support type job, but for once it hasnt specified any experience required, although it did say industry recognised qualifications were "desirable", so I wasn't surprised when they picked me for an interview (not being big headed, I just ticked most of their boxes I think). The job itself is a maternity cover I think only until next july, so say about 9 months - the pay is less (15k-17k, I'm on just under 19K) and it's a bit further to drive each day so obviously cost me a bit more in fuel etc...

But if I am successful in the interview, would it be a no brainer? I am not currently in an IT job, I have had a few interviews but not had any luck so far (got to the final two in my last one, lost out due to lack of experience) so what is everyones opinion? Take the job and lose a bit each month (hopefully not too much if I can negotiate well!) and get that invaluable 1st IT job on my CV? Or stay in this poxy undervalued non-IT job until the next one comes along....

The only downside obviously is the fact that come next july, I will be jobless - I am careful with my money so would have savings by then to last me a while if necessary, but who knows how long it could take me to get a new job!

I await your responses :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

All the entry-level jobs I see advertised are around that wage-bracket so looks like you'll have to take a pay cut if you want to get into IT.
    However, maybe you need a permanent position to make it worthwhile taking that step.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

From the situation you've described I think that I would take it, however a permanent role is more appealing, especially at the moment. As you say it gives you the experience that your currently require to break into IT. With 7 - 8 months under your belt it should really help with getting another job. Or they may like you and offer you a more permanent role with the company you could be working for.

Good luck with the interview!!

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would take it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I would go to the interview and try to dermine what YOU would gain from the job.

6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ask them at the interview what your chances are of a permanent placement in the future. They may well have a turnover of staff as their IT people move on themselves. At least then they know you're not just looking at the 9 months stint, and are wanting to stay for the long haul.

Best of luck with the interview.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I was in exactly the same position and left a full time perm role for a 6 month contract simply because it was IT based and it was good experience, I ended up being offered a perm role within 3 months of being there and worked there for a further 5 years. Maybe I was lucky, if I was in the same position again I would still take the temp job, if at the end of the term they don't offer you anything and there is no other perm jobs on offer you could always go contracting until the right position comes along, over the last 2 years I have made a good amount of money from contract roles....... back in a perm position now though as needed the security due to a change in personnel circumstances.

Hope it all goes well for you..... sometimes you need to take a risk for something if you want it badly enough and experience goes along way.

Just my humble opinion.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the responses guys :)

I would take the job in a flash too probably, my only hesitation was the "what ifs" come July - but I do apply to a lot of jobs so I would probably start applying to more in about Feburary or March :D

I have to actually get through the interview part first... I just hope I do OK :)

Will post back and let you know the outcome

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would probably take it as well. Every day you're not in IT is another day you're not building real-world experience that employers desire. 9 months of experience will give you an edge over your competition... an edge you currently don't have. Go for it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

OK I had the interview, and it has taken an interesting twist now...

This place has two jobs advertised, one was a "lower" IT support job and the other "higher" one was IT Support Officer - I am just using the higher / lower to differentiate between the two - anyway the reason I applied for the "lower" of the two was as it didn't ask for any specific experience, whereas the other one asked for HND or Degree as ESSENTIAL (I have neither), hence applying for the lower job.

Anyway, the interview went quite well I thought, I got on well with the guy there who was the IT manager, and I also noticed there that I was one of 4 interviewed for this role. Late yesterday afternoon I get a call saying they want to consider me for the other role, the IT support officer, which currently has 6 people shortlisted for it. They want me to come in first thing as they had already scheduled all the other interviews, which I am more than happy to do... Its interesting as I discussed this other position in my interview, and made it quite clear to them as to why I didn't apply for it, and was very honest with them about myself and my experience. The guy was also complimentary about how I am clearly dedicated to finding a job which was nice to hear :) . But they did say when they rang that I would not now be considered for the original role which I applied for...

So I don't know what to think really! What is everyones thoughts on this? I am going to make sure I prepare well for this interview, as it will be a biggie for me!!!

11. BosonMichael

Do you think you could perform the tasks required of the IT Support Officer? If so, go for it! If you're the best candidate for the job, they'll select you.

Tell the company that you'd be interested in either position, thereby keeping your options - and their options - open. That way, if they happen to find someone more qualified for the "higher" job, they'll know you're still interested in the "lower" one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I certainly think I can do both jobs, yes, both have very similar job descriptions to be honest, but one is I'd say 1st line only, this other one is 1st and 2nd line...

I am happy to do either job, but they said I would not now be considered for the job I originally applied for, so if I don't get this job then I've lucked out on both :( I just find it odd that they would consider me for a job I didn't even apply for (for good reason I thought), I am just hoping its a good sign, they obviously think I am capable of doing it otherwise they wouldn't have bothered asking me to come to this other interview, or just given me the original job?

I did say to the guy there how I am very keen to learn etc and he said this would be a perfect job to do it in, and when I said that I hoped to hear from you soon he said "you will!" so they must have thought I was pretty cool :)

13. danielno8

good luck i hope you get it,

14. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Cheers :) me too, I won't get my hopes up (never do anymore) but will do my best!!!

15. BosonMichael

I find it strange that they would only consider you for ONE of the jobs. If I were hiring for those two positions, I'd take the best candidate for the 1st/2nd line job. Then, if the best candidate accepts, offer the 2nd best candidate the 1st line job.... then work my way down the candidates list until one accepts.

16. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well they are doing separate interviews for each position, so don't think its a case of giving the best candidate the 2nd line job and the next one then the 1st line job, they have shortlisted separate people for each job...

Will have to just see how it goes anyway :) interview is tuesday morning!

17. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well I think the 2nd interview went quite well too, I arrived nice and early cos I didn't know what traffic was going to be like! So just sat around for half an hour :)

A few of the same questions, a few more in depth questions aswell which I think I answered quite well. When I asked why they had decided to put me in for this one, rather than the other job, he said he didn't think it would have met my expectations, and that he felt I was above the typical 1st line sort of things so that I would be more suited to this... And he also said it showed how dedicated I was, not only my certifications, but also the fact I was willing to give up a permanent job to move to a 6-7 month position!

After the interview he took me in to the IT dept., introduced me to the team and one of them showed me around the office... Nice to meet (potential) work mates too

Just have to see how it goes now anyway!!

18. danielno8

good stuff, sounds like it went well :)

19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

if you are getting the grand tour, that seems promising to be honest. Most people wouldnt bother their staff meeting an interviewee unless they were a strong possibility for the position.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  20. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I hope so:D but just have to wait and see - I was first one in today so the other 6 candidates could have come in after me and blown me out of the water!

Found it quite intimidating when they were showing me round the servers etc, as I didn't know what half of it meant (not that I would be expected to know it all straight away, hopefully :D ) it is on a massively different scale to anything I have ever seen before :blink but I know I will pick it up as I go along...

Will report back with any news, thanks for your support guys :p