1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you support "IT Professional" as a protected title?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by wagnerk, May 25, 2009.


Would you support "IT Professional" as a protected title?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2009.
  1. Yes, like the title Engineer - restricted

    6 vote(s)
  2. Yes, like the title Architect - pragmatic view

    4 vote(s)
  3. No, should be open for anyone to use

    1 vote(s)
  4. No view/keep it as it is - Specific titles protected (ICTTech, CITP, etc)

    5 vote(s)
  1. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator


    Just out of interest, would you support the term "IT Professional" as a world-wide protected title? This is in addition to the protected titles in the UK (ICTTech & CITP). In parts of the world the term engineer and architect are protected terms/titles.

    In the UK, while the term "Engineer" by itself is not under such restrictions, the Chartered Engineer, Incorporate Engineer and the Engineering Technician are. For the term/title Architect, that term/title is however the ARB takes a pragmatic view, and accepts that the use of the word “architect” causes no concern when used in a context which is clearly not related to the design and construction of buildings.

    Certifications: CITP, PGDip, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MSc in Tech Management
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

    UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

    I think it's too wide a definition to be "protected" and if you think, say, about news media quoting people, "IT Professional" might be an easy term for the public to understand or perceive to understand but professionally it could mean all sorts of different things depending on your field, experiece and certs/quals.

    It's a bit like saying "Accountant" when some people mean their book-keeper (usually unqualified) or they could actually mean a Chartered or Certified Accountant or even a Chartered tax specialist - the term "Accountant" is generically applied.
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. sunn

    sunn Gigabyte Poster

    What do you mean by "protected"?
    Although I agree there needs to be a professional body, the title 'IT Professional' is too wide/loose a term.
    I don't think even doctor is protected, but the specific types are. Neurologist, Chiropractor, etc…

    I'd support various titles for:
    Application Developers
    Network Engineers / Architects

    It shouldn't be vendor specific, but it should be technology driven. Another words a networking professional doesn't need to be Cisco proficient, but does need to know in depth details of networks; their components; and how it relates to IT.

    - My thoughts anyways...

Share This Page