Would this make a good CCNA lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by michael78, Jun 11, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Saw this on Ebay but wanted to know if this would make a good CCNA lab. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What happened to the Vmware study? You really don't want to bite off more than you can chew!!

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. michael78

lol don't worry mate not jumping into CCNA just yet. I'm still doing my VMWare course in November and thats my main focus (as well as passing my ITIL). I just want to learn more about Cisco equipment for my own benefit and may as well get a small Cisco CCNA lab to do it on. I did start many years ago doing my CCNA at college but gave it up due to personal reasons at the time and always wanted to get back into it. I eventually want to incorporate it into my ESX lab.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

The routers will do the job, but you'd be better off with a 2950 switch which will allow you to do intervlan routing. 2 if you can get them and then you can also practice VTP and etherchannel.

edited to add you may also want to look at something like a 2522 for frame relay if funds permit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. michael78

Cheers mate, might still buy this kit and buy a switch separately.

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

2950 cannot route. You can create VLAN's on them but not route for them.

L3 switching is not part of the CCNA either. Neither is etherchannel.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I know it can't route. But it does support ieee 802.1q needed for intervlan routing (router on a stick). Which I believe the 2924 does not. I don't think the 2924 supports the interface range command either or have support for rstp.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

why would you be able to create VLAN's on them but not trunk ports?

It doesn't support the range command, but that has nothing to do with the CCNA, just a nice to have.

By all means, get a 2950 or better sw3itch but just be aware it's more than is required.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. michael78

Cheers for all the advice guys much appreciated

10. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Just to sum up, the below is probably the most important things missing from the 2924.

Create VLANS using the vlan config mode. (exam topic)
    Rapid Spanning Tree. (exam topic)
    DTP. (exam topic)
    BPDU guard.
    Etherchannel.
    Use of the interface range command.
    802.1q trunking instead of native ISL. (exam topic)

It'll get you buy, but like they say buy nice or buy twice.:biggrin

11. michael78

lol very true :biggrin