Would this be a wise move (for a junior role)?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Stuzzle, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

A job advert I have been looking at a lot recently:

Placing aside that it is only a temp contract, and the hours, would this be a good role for a junior/entry level position? I'm thinking in terms of support, i.e been sat at home by myself for 12 hours a night without anyone to give me advice on the spot how to deal with a difficult call

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It'll be experience and cash so I don't see why not. I'm not a big fan of shift work myself but if you don't mind it then it's a very good idea imo.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Where did you find the job advert?, I would give it a go, you can alway call it quit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have a couple of questions that you should possibly raise in response.

It says '4 on 5 off' from 7pm to 7am, but then says you should only expect to work shifts between Monday and Friday - but 4 on 5 off would no doubt at some point include working a whole weekend. Clarify the actual timetable.

The stated wage clearly accounts for the unsociable hours (I think this scales to the region of £23K+ for the hours worked)

For call logging, that sounds like an immense opportunity - but as you'd be working from home, I'd also get them to clarify the escalation policy and how much you'd be expected to deal with.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

note that it says logging calls.

You wont be expected to resolve the issues, infact, you may not be given enough time to do it. However, you may find some easy fixes, or be given latitude on slower nights to spend time trying to fix a problem.

But it is helpdesk experience, which can help boost you into a proper full time job.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

I started doing work in a technical call center, it was a great learning tool. there was room to move up and i ended up on the 2nd line team.

i would say go for it

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Who are the customers? Are they the general public who will call mostly in the evening (7 to 12pm) or are they corporate who would possibly need less support in the evenings depending if they are local or more if global?

If you've got nothing else to do, it would be great for the experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. faulknerm

faulknerm New Member

Sounds like a very good opportunity to me.

If you decide not to go for it, I'd appreciate it if you could share the details. :)

Cheers,

Marc

Certifications: MCP, MCDST,
    WIP: CCNA, MCITP
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Even if you arent the one applying the fixes, this will be a good opportunity to learn the questions people ask, and then it is up to your own initiative to learn what needs to be done fix wise.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

It was a posting on TotalJobs
    Otherwise that's all the information I have now, didn't apply for it on time and now it's gone :oops:

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646