Would like to get back into the Certs again

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by drum_dude, Jun 23, 2009.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

After many years out of the certification path - 4 years all in all - I have decided that I want to get back on track. I have been doing a lot with regards to technologies and feel that this time round I am better prepared to understand what I'll be studying. Unfortunately, I'm a little out of touch with what is out there at the moment but do want to get the foundations sorted.

So the one thing that has always been on my mind is the CCNA, again I think it will be very useful for me to get this sorted out plus I have also aquired a rather shiny new Cisco ADSL Router. Can't remember what it is called but it retails at over 300 quid and is recommended by my Cisco books - update books that is.

The other thing I want to get sorted is the MS side of the fence. I never finished my MCSE in 2000 and only got as far as doing 5 MCPs of which one of them was 70-270. AD design and Exchange was never taken by myself.

So my question is what do you guys recommend on the MS front? I am reluctant to take the 2003 route as it does seem quite old now so am looking more to 2008 with Exchange too. However, am I correct in saying that there is no MCSE in 2008? Also, I'd like to do something related to a 2008 SBS product - if one exists of course.

So there you go, time to pull my finger out and crack on, but your advice would be most welcome. This will all be self-study of course and financed by yours truly.

Cheers Guys!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

With the 2008 track you have the MCITP, which is broken down into a few areas.

The MCITP: Server Administrator consists of three exams and is kinda like the old MCSA, I use the words kinda loosley.

You then have the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator which consists of five exams and is kinda like the old MCSE.

You can find out more information here

In relation to the SBS 2003, there is an exam exclusively for this which is the 70-653, more information here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Also, I would recommend having a look at the CCENT, and then the CCNA.

Pretty much, you have a choice of one exam being the 640-802 to get the CCNA only or you can do the 640-822 for the CCENT and then the 640-816 for the CCNA.

I'm currently working towards the CCENT, and have the Official Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom and the CBT Nuggets which are awesome.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. drum_dude

Thanks for the info their craigie! The CCNA kit I have starts with the CCENT.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might think that Server 2003 is "too old", but many companies are still using 2000 Server, and Server 2008 hasn't gained widespread use yet. Plus, you'll be able to pick up the 2008 certs for many, many years to come. If nothing else, getting the MCSE on 2003 will make you look like you've "been around longer". ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. drum_dude

Cheers BM, I have the Server 2003 MS Press book already. Would you advise that I pursue the 2003 MCSE? I have worked alot with the product so it may be a good start.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would go for that mate, having the MCSE on your CV should compliment your commercial experience nicely. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! would definately recommend finishing or starting MCSE 2003 and take it from there. I would be sitting the 70-291 exam sometime in July and progress from there onwards, done two exams so far on the MCSE 2003 track.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. drum_dude

Thanks Sparky and Onoski! I will get cracking with that then! Sort of getting excited now!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ab-so-lutely! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!