Would like some help Please......

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by TechGeek, May 6, 2010.

1. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Firstly sorry if i posted in the wrong section..

I am currently a student doing his A levels but the thing the options I picked I do not enjoy them. So I was looking for something else to do and I came across Comptia A+ and N+. They were intriguing, so i decided to check other peoples views on the course and i came across this forum.

So on to the dilemma, I am 18 atm and am looking for something new. I have enough knowledge on pcs to build my own one from ground up which i did...and minimal networking knowledge, well i know the basics. I have no previous work experience but i may have secured a position in Mobile phone shop. Looking at the course i was wondering whether after completing said courses I may be able to get a job or what possible courses I can take in the future to be more certified so to say. Can someone please also break it down as to whether i will need a trainer or I can be just as successful doing home learning. Also how long do both courses take and what future would I have to do, that is of course if am eligible for this course.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A+, Network+, and the MCDST are the way to go, so you're on the right track.

Yes, you can do them on your own without a trainer.

How long will it take? As long as it takes. Some people need no study at all... others take years. You will likely be somewhere in the middle of that. :)

If you certify on the A+ and Network+ before 1/1/11, you won't have to recertify every 3 years... those who certify after that date will. Currently, the MCDST is a lifetime certification.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with BM

You don't need a trainer or training company to do these certs, You just get the books, study and practice and when you feel your ready book your exams through pearsonvue (compTIA only) or prometric (compTIA and Microsoft) and take the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Thanks you guys..that was useful and quicker than i expected much appretiated. After i complete them will I be able to secure a job in the IT industry

5. greenbrucelee

Yes but you don't have to wait till you get them. Start looking for trainee technician and helpdesk jobs now. JUst put on your CV you are studying for them.

6. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Thanks one more question. I am going to do this with a Home college called "Home Learning College" lol...Are they good will they provide me with enough support because thats where i first learnt about this course.

Also are these qualification known internationally known or am i bound to work in UK only.
    Also by your experience how good would you rate this job is it flexible. do you enough leisure time or is it stressful.

What are the entry requirements for these courses and how much will they cost me approximately. If I work efficiently how long will it take me from starting to end. I mean all courses put together.

Im sorry for all the questions but i am in a seriously crappy position at college and need a fresh start. This is looking to be my best option. I have no one else to ask because everyone has no clue what im talkin bout lol...
    Thank you so much ...

Edit: Can i start whenever i feel like it for example next month or something

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  7. greenbrucelee

I am not sure how much it will cost you through them. Like Michael and I said earlier you do not need a course you can just get the books and study yourself. Doing the A+,N+ and MCDST does not require any pre-requisites.

Certifications from training companies can be very expensive and often don't deliver what they promise this is why most of the members on certforums have self studied as it is cheaper, you can guarantee yourself the best materials where as a training company may not and you do not have a set time limit to complete the courses.

I would recommend self study, if you have questions or require help then that's what certforums is for and certforums is free.

If you do however feel you need classroom based study then I suggest you look at colleges that offer these certifications not a training company.

If you do decide to go with home learning college then they will probably let you start the day you start paying them. I would advise you if you are serious about going with them is to read everything and anything about them and before you sign any contract you read it thoroughly. Some of these places require you to take out a career development loan to pay for the courses, if you have to take out the CDL and drop out or can't continue for some reason you still have to pay the CDL. This has often left people in thousands of pounds of debt where as you can study on your own and only spend a few hundred quid.

Also some of these companies will sign you up for doing certs that you should not do such as the MCSA,MCSE and CCNA these are certs for experienced people already in IT.

These certs are world renowned.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

You can start studying for the A+ or Net+ right now if you want from resources online such as http://www.professormesser.com/

Your use of the word courses has me a bit confused. Comptia A+ and Network+ aren't courses per se they are industry certifications obtained by sitting various exams. The newest version of the A+ requires you sit two exams I believe. The Network+ requires you sit one exam. Some of the things you learn studying for the A+ will help you in your studies for the Network+. You can of course pay for courses but self study is a popular choice and you can feel confident in self study that you aren't getting ripped off by an unscrupulous training provider.

There are no entry requirements for taking A+ or Net+ exams. Though Comptia I think suggests a certain few months of experience before taking the exam but it is not a requirement and these are entry level certs and people take them all the time as they try to break into the industry.

Comptia certifications are vendor neutral and are recognized internationally. the MCDST is obviously a Microsoft certification and like Microsoft is internationally recognized. The MCDST is comprised of two exams when you pass the first one you are then a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP).

As far as things such as stress level and leisure time associated with entry level work in the IT industry well I would think that depends on the individual job and the culture at the company. However if you want to really make a career of IT then expect to become adept at time management.

As far as how long it will take to obtain the certifications well that depends on a great number of factors. If you have a pretty good base of knowledge to start with and have some experience building a PC and messing around inside the box then you should be able to pass the A+ in time to be certified for life. You probably have enough time to fit the Net+ in as well but it will require good study habits. But then I don't how well you understand concepts, how well you retain knowledge, and how much time you have to put in to it.

edit: totally missed the part about the Home Learning College. The reviews I read with just a quick google search seem pretty mixed but it seems the bad reviews came more form the tech certification courses. It would also worry me that they don't have prices on their site! That usually means I can't afford it. I would seriously consider doing self study and see how you manage. I imagine it would end up being cheaper even with buying books, practice tests and exam vouchers.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Yes now that was helpful thank you soo much..I think I will go ahead with it, but i Hve to finish a+ AND N+ before 2011. that gives me about 6 months approximately 15 hours a week. that sounds pretty good because i already do the same at college.
    Thanks for the website gosh will take note of it...
    Is there any other material that wil be useful such as books and guides that i can buy. Also where do i apply for the examination...

10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

You can take Comptia exams at Prometric or Pearson Vue. Microsoft exams can only be taken through Prometric. I've only used Prometric and there are testing centers all around the world. You should be able to find one at www.prometric.com or by using google.

There may be discount vouchers available for the A+ and Net+ but I'm not sure about the UK. I think there are maybe someone from the UK can give some guidance on that. Mike Meyers books come pretty highly recommended many people also use the sybex books.
    Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) is probably a good place to start. I think it's usually a good idea to have multiple resources but it's been a while since I took the A+ so I'm not sure what other book(s) I would recommend.

Good luck on your studies!!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  11. greenbrucelee

www.gracetechsolutions.com sell discount vouchers for the A+ and N+ you use the voucher code to pay pearsonvue for the exams.

On pearsonvues website you will find your nerest test center and pay them for the exam.
    You can do the A+ exams in any order you want.

The Mike Myeres book is the best for the A+ and N+. The MS press books are the best for the MCDST. If you go with this training company they may provide you with books.

The best practice exam for the A+ is from www.boson.com and a good free one is from www.proprofs.com

The A+ has two exams

The N+ has one exam

The MCDST has two exams (you gain Microsoft certified professional status for each MS exam you pass).

If you go with the training company they may actually book and pay for your exams within the cost of the course but most training companies just provide a course and nothing else.

12. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Ok I went on to amazon. UK and they were so many different versions, i ordered the Mike Meyers seventh edition comtia A+ book....but have no idea which N+ book i need, the highest i saw it go to was to fourth which ill assume is the latest unless there is newer 2010 version. do I only need these two books to pass, as in study them perfectly then go for the exam...
    Can anyone also link to specification sheet as to what will come in the exam.
    Thanks

13. greenbrucelee

the seventh edition for the A+ and fourth for N+ are the current ones.

YOu actually need to understand what your learning and practice. Your not just doing these to pass 3 exams your studying to gain valuable skills that you will use in your IT career.

It is not wise just to have one study material as was mentioned earlier on.

Why not visit the compTIA website to see what the objectives are (BTW the books will tell you too).