Would like some advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dfryerd, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dfryerd

dfryerd New Member

Hello everyone it has been a while since i posted on cert forums,because i have had a busy six months.Any way I would like to ask for some help and advice please,first off i have a+ and mcdst and 70-270, i failed n+,but i have been working as a field support technician for the last six months,and I do everthing from updating software on servers,changing fusers in printers,networking printers,basic networking and trouble shooting and looking after approx 300 desktop users.My problem is that i feel like a jack of all trades but a master of none,I must say that I really enjoy desktop support,dealing with people etc,but sometimes I just lack the knowledge to complete some tasks,ie one time i was asked to go to the server room and re assign some users to different network points on the main switch,i did it in the end but it took me far to long,so what i am looking for is to study for another course to give me a bit better general knowledge for the type of job i am doing,I was thinking of re-doing network+ or going for ccna,but i am not sure if ccna would be to much for me to take on board as it seems to be quite in depth,and be a bit overkill for my type of job.I plan on study for the next three months and take an exam around December time,the reason for this study is I plan to try and get a better paid job in new year,any suggestions would be very well recieved

Certifications: Comptia a+ MCDST 70-270
    WIP: n+ 70-290
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Go for the Network+ again, to be honest that unless you actually work with Cisco equipment the CCNA would not be much use to you (1. Cisco certs expire and needs to be renewed every 3 years and 2. Cisco certs are geared up to implementing Cisco equipment).

Apart from that, since you've only been doing this for 6 months, it's experience that you need to work on at the minute and how the company's IT infrastructure is set up. Unfortunately while courses are great to a degree, the implementation of it is only something you can learn on the job. This is just what I got from your example given:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dfryerd

dfryerd New Member

Many thanks for your advice Ken,I have got about 18 years of experience in IT my problem was that i did not have any qualifications to back it up so for the last 2 years i have been taking courses etc just to get my foot in the door with a company,I understand what you are saying about experience even though i have been in It for these years, what I have learnt on the job in the last six months has been a real experience.I think your comment on cisco is correct I really dont want to be doing cisco stuff all the time and just that. I want to broaden my skill set and to understand the basic concepts of networking etc, and how things work in general,so I think you are right i should re do the Network+.What i was looking for was another course that would help on my cv to make me more desirable to companys,or do you think I should just get some more real world experience and then apply for another job?thanks again for your input Ken

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi mate,

Sorry, so you have 18 years experience in IT? Is this in consumer support rather than enterprise (business support) or is this 18 years in a different branch/field of IT?

To be honest the main 3 entry/basic IT certifications to build a good solid base on which to progress (both in certification and in career - in the support field anyway) is the Comptia A+, Comptia Network+ and the MCDST (MS exams 70-271 & 70-272). Now comes in why I asked the above 2 questions, what else have you done/got experience in? Alot of professional certifications are there to reflect/validate your job roles & responsibilities.

Other certs that you may want to look at is the Wireless#, SDI's ServicDesk Analyst, and since you state that you already have been working with servers and network for the last 6 months, the MCSA.

Don't disregard the academic or vocational side either, such as the NVQ's in System support & the HND's/fdSc's. They may take up to 3 years part-time to do but I believe that it's worth it, but then it does depend on where you want to go. I've seen IT jobs that list degree's as either desirable or essential, but it does depend, like I said on where you want to go.

You may want to join a professional IT association like the BCS or the IET. At the end of the year the ECUK will release a new credential called the ICTTech (which is the IT version of the EngTech) that you may want to look into.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dfryerd

dfryerd New Member

Hello Ken,
    Well i had my own computer retail shop for about ten years,building pcs selling upgrading dos 6.2 windows 3.1 etc,then I just did house calls etc for about 3 years,helping people with using there pcs,then i did 5 years in the transport industry,helpdesk,data input general office duties.And now field support which I must say I really enjoy,but the big downfall is my salary is not very good,that is why i asked for which step to take next,and see if any other course would help my career,as said i will re-take my N+,I would consider taking a course on Vista but I dont see many companys using it,so I dont know whether it would be worth it in the long term.
    Thanks for advice Again Ken

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is exactly right:

While learning the Network+ is useful, it's only going to teach you theory; it's not gonna teach you how to actually **do** things. You learn by doing. I dare say you're better off having had the experience with the switch. Should you get asked to do it again, you'll be much better prepared... not because of a course... but because you've DONE it.

If you want to improve your CV, Ken's right: get the Network+. The CCNA's not going to do you a whole lot of good at this stage of your career.

If you're learning new things where you are, I'd recommend that you stay there. If you've stalled out where you are, and you're not learning new things, I'd recommend getting a new job where you can learn new things. That's how we gain experience. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!