Would it be possible...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by antr, Jan 4, 2008.

1. antr

antr Bit Poster

Do you think it would ber possible to study for 70-272 do the exam then study for the A+ to do the exam 3-4 weeks later then do 271 4-5 weeks after that??

Or is that doing to much at once??

Certifications: n/a :(
    WIP: MCDST, A+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Why would you want to do that is the question i'd ask.

Why not do the A+, then 271, 272? It seems the logical path to take to me.

Also, if you put enough man hours in, and have the relevent experience, it can be done. The question is, do you have the hours available to dedicate yourself to this for the next 12+ weeks, and do you have any hands on experience already?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. antr

antr Bit Poster

I have 2 yrs exp in a 1st line support role and minor pc support exp.

I guess it is because I am looking to move on from this role as there is only so much you can learn and do at this role.

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You should be ok if you've got 2 years experience, although im not completely sure what your 1st line role included?

As far as doing the exams etc, whats the rush? You'd probably benefit alot more by taking the time you need to really soke in the information. That said, A+ would probably be the best start for you, followed by perhaps the Network+ / MCDST. Maybe the best option is to purchase Mike Meyers All in One - 6th Edition and see what you think after having a look through. You'd probably be able to draw up a rough timescale at that point.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  5. antr

antr Bit Poster

I decided to start with the MCDST after reading both the Sybex book for the MCDST and Mike Myers All-in-one book. Reason being that it was more closely related to the job i have done and doing at the moment.

My reason for doing it so quickly im not to sure about it was just a thought to maybe fit my A+ essentials exam in between my 271 and 272 exams and then do my I.T technician afterwards. Maybe my wording was abit wrong when stating i wanted to do my A+ (sounds like the entirety) I prefer to prepare for one exam at a time then do them

Thanks for the quick and prompt (and useful) reply nXPLOSi

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Ah I see where your coming from, they're all useful exams but if MCDST is more related to your current job then perhaps that is the correct path to take. Best of luck with the 271, im sure you'll do fine :)

7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Yeah can't really add to what nXPLOSi has already said.

Yes it's possible to study and take those exams within that short period, however although you can gain the certificates which is great but they are geared towards getting the 1st line support role which you already have. Yes getting the Certs is a good investment for your future but I feel you'll need to add to them to move further forward into 2nd & 3rd line support..

But it's a great place to begin...Good luck :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!