Worth putting knowledge of/skills in Virtual PC/Virtualization software on CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I was wondering whether it would be worth adding to my CV that I've developed skills in using Microsoft Virtual PC, Virtual Box and other virtualization software?

Your thoughts?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Any commercial experience?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

No, I meant using it on my own home PC.

4. Sparky

Are you struggling to fill your CV?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

No:biggrin I was just wondering, that's all.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

yes if your confident with the software/technology then it can't do any harm.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Its important to stay honest so I'd put something along the lines of "built various virtual environments using X in your lab", possibly pad it out with some specifics. Any experience is good experience but be clear if asked, you haven't done it in a production environment. Right now thats all you can do. One person might see it as a plus, one might disregard it, who can say....
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. michael78

Yes never put it under previous job roles as then they will take it as commercial experience. I tend to put things I have non commercial experience in under other skills but to be fair removed it not long ago as I closed the gap on everything on that list with commercial experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. Sparky

Yup, thats what I was getting at. 8)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're looking to pad your CV, you might list it as "Familiar with virtualization technologies, including Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Box", but not "Experienced with virtualization technologies, including Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Box." One implies that you have studied about it and worked with it in a lab environment... the other implies that you have experience in a production environment with the technology.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. michael78

Disagree with that as commercial experience isn't the only kind of experience.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's the only kind of experience that most employers consider as "experience". Setting up stuff on your home lab gives you knowledge... but it's not the same as doing it in a production environment, and employers realize that.

Go ahead and put "experienced" on your CV... but that'll be a big red flag when employers discover that you don't have real-world business IT experience with it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

The difference is that in production you have to act responsibly as there's no place for mistakes. Everything needs to work and there's no place for downtime. If you mess something up in a lab you can wipe it out and start from scratch. This isn't possible in production.

I think that is one of the reasons why lab experience isn't considered as experience by employers. They want someone who can do something in production and not in the home lab.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  14. michael78

Chances are you will gain more knowledge from a lab than production environment for that exact reason that you can't mess around with a live system. All I'm saying is that commercial experience isn't the only type of experience. I learned more about Exchange in my home lab than the 2 years I've had access to Exchange in a working environment. Whilst I wouldn't put it down as having commercial experience on his CV I would put it under an other skills section on his CV as still having experience. That way the employer isn't under any illusion he has commercial experience.

15. Sparky

Errr, no.

16. JK2447

Err, no x2. With all due respect, you have learned more in your home lab than in 2 years at work? Seriously?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  17. JK2447

To be fair Mike is the first to admit any experience is good experience, perhaps you've missed those posts

18. michael78

So your trying to tell me your company allows you to install Exchange when you want, dismount databases, delete and migrate them and other things that otherwise would disrupt the functionality of Exchange if so lucky you.

19. michael78

Yes I did for the simple fact that if I messed around with a live system just so I could see what this setting did and what that button did and brought the system down I would of been sacked. I personally think you learn more from home labs as you have the freedom to do and break what you want. Also for the example of Exchange it was already setup so I didn't get to really set it up at work or drill into the settings but did using my home lab so yes I did learn more.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  20. Sparky

I get what you are saying but you are comparing the lab work to your current job, not commercial experience.
    For example, if you had put your Exchange environment in from scratch you would have learnt much more in comparison to testing it out in the lab.