Working in the UK question ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Oh no it isnt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Hi Folks,
    Im 30 years old and currently living in Dublin and looking to move to the UK to get a Level 1 support Role.
    I currently have MOS, ECDL, A+ , Network+ , MCP 271 + 272 (MCDST) and (MCTS Windows 7)
    But I have no real world experience. Im just wondering would these certs alone get me a level 1 job
    In the UK or should I study something more? Anyone any advice on what I should do next?
    TIA

Certifications: MOS,ECDL,A+,NET+,MCP,MCDST,MCTS (BSc)
    WIP: MCSA RFID+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That’s a good collection of entry level certs there mate. Should help out having them.

Where are you moving to?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah you have all you need until you get into 2nd line there. Experience is King so try and get some volunteer work under your belt, anything to validate your certifications. I wouldn't take any more certs until you land your first role as you don't want your certs to go beyond your experience. Its a hard market right now but an old friend of mine is getting interviews for 1LS roles, but admittedly he's worked as 1st line for a global firm :S

I don't suppose you have a degree do you? We have just taken on 2 graduates in my team

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Im moving absolutely anywhere in the UK. The Job situation in Ireland is unreal at the moment (over 13% unemployment and rising fast every week). I know the Uk is bad at the moment jobwise too, but it nothing compared to here. Also there always seems to be a load of entry level jobs on UK jobsites but absolutely nothing here and even when there is an entry level job the are looking for ridiculous requirements such as MCSE with Hons Degree to answer a bloody phone!!!
    Im wondering would my certs get me a job somewhere in the UK with no experience?
    TIA

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I think we have 11% unemployment where i live.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I think it won't make any difference to the OP. If he can't get a job where he is, then why does he think he will get one here? unless you have one lined up already, I wouldn't bother. Being unemployed at home is a damn site easier than being unemployed 300 miles away.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

^^ What he said.

The work situation here sucks big time too.
    You're putting yourself through the expense of moving and taking on plenty of additional cr*p which isn't going to be a great help to you.

I wouldn't consider moving until you've at least got something lined up...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice.
    But what im meaning to say is when I look at job sites all over the UK there are plenty of level 1 support jobs and there education requirements are within my scope. There are very few level 1 support jobs here in Ireland and even when you find them they look for rediculous requirements such as 5+ years experience with mcse,ccnp and hons degree.(These guys are taking the Pi**) Having spent nearly 10 years in the states in other lines of employment than I can honestly say that Irish employers go way overboard on college degrees etc for entry level Jobs.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed. But generally putting unrealistic requirements on job ads is just a way of filtering applications. Where unemployment is high, these tend to creep up and up until it becomes stupid. Is an MCSE (and I mean a real one, not one that has spent 3 months with a TP) going to apply for a £14k position? No.

Just because you are seeing them advertised 'all over the UK' with lower entry requirements doesn't mean they are any easier to get, or competition for them is any less fierce.

The road to London is not paved with gold, and there are plenty of members of this forum who have been trying for years to get themselves an entry level IT position in England. I'd just be concerned about the cost of moving and all the hassle that comes with it on what might be a lost cause.

Don't want to be too depressing. That's a tidy list of certs you've got, and something will come your way.

10. westernkings

Too be honest OP, are you even applying? all you are talking about is how the adverts say you shouldn't bother. Have you actually applied? if so, what responses did you get? if none, what is up with your CV? There are a lot of variables in this game and frankly, if the only thing left is upping sticks and going, then you are doing some very, very wrong.

Maybe you should have spent more time building your experience section and APPLYING, than certifying your self up to the eyeballs ;-)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice mate.
    Ive a couple of interviews up in belfast next week so fingers crossed.:D

12. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Yes ive applied for hundreds of jobs and had a few interviews.
    As oppose to Building my experience which you mention its the age old debate "how can I get experience if nobody is going to give me a job" and yes I have some voluntary experience also.
    I also wouldnt say im certified up to my eyeballs mate.

13. westernkings

What kind of job would you say is entry level mate? can you post your CV up here for us to have a look at?

14. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Not tying to be dodge anything but I dont want to be posting my Cv onto the Net mate. I prefer to keep it private.
    But trust me it needs no changes to it.
    My opinion of entry level would be Answerin a phone, gethering details about the customer and problem. Loggin these problems and then escalating them where necessary.

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can of course remove any identifying or personal details...

16. westernkings

Guess you've never heard of simply removing any personal info from it like the dozens of other people that have, it's helped them out plenty, quite a few people have come back and told us that they have got more interest just because of the advice we gave them.

17. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

No need to be so smart.
    Not all people have worked in certain jobs / positions / agencies / Government / Military areas that allow them to post or their details on the net and not be recognised EVEN if they remove personal info. There are rules and criteria out there mate still in this day and age.

18. westernkings

I'll be honest with you champ, how is somebody going to identify you if you remove all personal info, companies names, dates you worked there, school names and dates from your CV? and what are the chances of the person who does know you being here?

We want to see the layout and wording of your CV to help you get a job, we could not care any less who you are or what company you worked for. I guess you are not a facebook type person then?

To really put this into perspective for you as per your original post at the start; the certifications you have are MORE than you need for an entry level role in ANY country. So what does that leave us to troubleshoot? your CV and experience. So help us to help you mate. If not, I have answered your initial post in this paragraph so we can close this off here.

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bad day?

:blink

20. westernkings

Not particularly, just getting bored of the same old "help me get into IT" story. Especially when they have applied for 100s of jobs and got nowhere and remain oblivious to the real issue, which is that they obviously have a serious flaw somewhere.

If I apply for 100 jobs, and I get say 50 interviews, then there is no reason I shouldn't get a job, if I fail to get one out of all them interviews, then I can safely say that I am doing something very right when it comes to my CV and very wrong when it comes to the way I am coming across during the interview.

If I'm applying for literally 100s of entry level jobs and barely getting ANY interviews, then it should be fairly obvious my CV is the issue and MAYBE the experience on said CV, but more often than not, it is a piss poor CV. We have seen dozens of people here report back saying they have got a job with NO prior IT experience, so it's obviously possible. I think we can all agree that most of the time it is a CV issue, and that CV is not getting across the candidate properly.

I suppose it's beginning to grate how people often wonder why, when a bit of thought would really highlight the real stalling point in the process.

Long winded post I know, but so many new comers ask for help and then refuse to let us help them, despite the fact that there are plenty of people who have got into IT just from our help.

PS this is nothing personal against the OP. Just a general rant about it.