Working in IT...Is this poss?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MS-sucks, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MS-sucks

MS-sucks New Member

Hi again folk, first of all my username doesnt mean i hate Microsoft, picked the wrong username there i guess.
    This is my second post and i am looking for a bit of advice.
    I really appreciate anyones advice on this post from you guru`s out there and be gentle.
    I`m looking to get into IT poss as first line support most likely as a part time or work from home due to my illness.
    I have built a few PC`s before, but never messed around with the software side, most of the Pc`s i built mainly started up and worked after the pop ups of installing.
    I have recently purchased Mike Myers comptia+ certification all in one exam guide and guide to windows 7, after most posts rec these books, is there anything else i need to purchase, do i need a windows 7 pc, pc tools are not a problem as i allready have them.
    I feel confident to read the books self study but as never worked in IT in any capacity is this poss.
    Also a few posts mention a "lab" to train in, can you enlighten a bit more.
    #Sorry for all the questions and thankyou
    Mark

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Mark,
    Firstly, welcome to CF:D

The MM AIO book you've purchased is the correct choice for self studying - I used the same book a few years back to pass:D

Another good FREE resource is the Professor Messer vid's for A+. These are an excellent aide to use alongside the MM AIO.

Regards a lab - most people use an old PC that they can strip down and rebuild, without fear of damaging their own system.

If you are comfortable with the hardware side of things - you may not need to go down the hardware lab route.

All the best with your studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and yes with hard work, determination and enthusiasm gaining employment in IT is possible.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. MS-sucks

MS-sucks New Member

Thankyou, really appreciate the support.
    I have had a look at prof messer before and looking again at the vid`s they are still very good.
    I have an old pc which i can take apart. s`pose i can clean it upo as well.
    thanks again, back to the studying

6. CronicNeurotic

CronicNeurotic New Member

Hi i registered on this site about 6-7 months ago and shortly after joining i landed an IT support analyst role for LLoyds banking group without any previous experience or qualifications. My best advice and what worked for me was working on my CV to make it look professional and i asked a friend who works in software development to have a look at it. I included on there that i had built computers and done troubleshooting on my own machine others.....

Included the systems i am familiar with Microsoft office, outlook and basically set it out like this on my CV

System Internal

Hardware diagnostics, fault finding
    Configuration of OS and BIOS
    Installations and Upgrades
    Performance Tweaking, System Monitoring and Data Cleanup
    Network Configuration and Protocol Management

Systems Usage Analysis

Internet Security policies and implementation
    P2P and Spy-ware detection, prevention and removal
    Email track and tracing

System & Application Software

Microsoft Desktop Client Operating Systems

MSDOS (3, 5, 6.22, 7.0)
    Windows (3.1, 98, NT, 2000, XP Pro, 7)

Microsoft Server Operating Systems

Windows server 2000,2003
    DNS, IIS & SharePoint Server
    SQL server 2000

Office/Client Productivity Applications

MS Office, Open Office, Google Apps Outlook
    SQL Query, MS Access report building
    ACT Contact Management
    Remote Desktop, VNC virtual support

Internet

Norton AV, Kaspersky, Zone Alarm, McAfee
    Netscape, Firefox & IE (All Versions)

and went through and found what i could add and remove and what most employers are looking for for specific jobs i was looking at on
    reed , theitjobboard and cvscreen

Just apply for as many jobs as you can and even ones that are low paid just to get you in. The pay for the job i have now is £13,000 (well it was raised to £13,800 after six months) a year but with the overtime i put in i end up with about £20,000 worked for me now im back on here because im going to study for some microsoft certifications to help me get to second line higher etc or better paid first line or whatever seing the same method i used before.. Good luck

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

SimonV, is that you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    danielno8 likes this.
  8. CronicNeurotic

CronicNeurotic New Member

No, I work in Pudsey near Leeds is there another another Helpdesk that you know of? I only really know about other offices in London and some computa center locations in Sheffield and elsewhere

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

SimonV is the guy that owns this site...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. MS-sucks

MS-sucks New Member

Thanks again all, i`m now more thanever studying hard.
    Found prof messer very good.
    Great comments chronicneurotic

11. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

You should start practicing windows 7 on VMWARE workstation. It is virtualization software which allows you to install guest operating system on your current host operating system. so it is a good method of practicing OS skills. you can tweak as you like.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  12. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Yep agree with this. Best way to go is use a Type 2 Virtualisation product like VMWare Workstation or better still VirtualBox (Free). That way you can test and learn on most platforms without breaking your main OS.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)