Working in a charity organisation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nekky, Jun 8, 2007.

1. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

hi everyone,

I had an interview today, which went realy well. Even with alot of preparation, Im usually extremly nervous at interviews(voice breaking, continuous talking... etc) and was very suprised at my ability to remain calm and not let it show through out the 1.30h interview.

The interview was for an IT Analyst role. It started off with a computer test (I could not believe I was answering questions on which keyboard keys you would use to convert a MS Word text to bold. I assumed the test style would be hands-on). It then continued with a panel interview of 3 interviewers.

I did alot of research about what the company does, when they started operating, their press releases, sub companies that make up the organization, offices across the the uk...etc and guess how much of it i was asked about?

None. The IT director proceeded to tell me about the company and everything I already knew from research. It then continued with finding out about my previous experiences, career goals(they have 'investors in people' status) and need to progress, My interest in the company and IT, personality, scenarios and of course the dreaded 'how much are you looking to get paid for this role' , my questions and my final speech.
    Being overprepared really does help the situation... alot. It also helps to calm the nerves (and to think I was going to speak to the doctor about something to calm my nerves).

It seems like quite a good job and and i certainly hope i get it because the director and manager seemed to understand my need to grow and develop within the organization(which is why I chose not to renew my current contract).

I do have one question though. Have any of you worked in a charity organization or somewhere with 'investors in people' status ? If so, was there any structured development programmes available to employees. They did tell me that they work at getting the best out of their employees. I wanted them to expand on that but did not want to ask more questions as I already asked quite a few and did not want to come across as badgering them.

... regards

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... your research probably helped you to not have to focus so heavily on what he was saying... enabling you to relax and concentrate on other things. :)

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My last employer (and previous one to that) had IIP status, while the pay wasn't that good, their training program was excellent with alot career development (not so much promotion, but you can't have everything). There was a structured training program, as well as annual appraisal's.

Training consisted of in-house, NVQ's as well as professional certs/quals.

I can't say that every company that has IIP status is the same, but I can say that they should be better at staff development than those that don't.

I hope that you get the post, good luck :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes on the job interview and fingers crossed for you:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Good luck, nekky! You seem well prepared for this, and well spoken too. I'm not conversant on IIP, but it definitely seems to be nice for increasing your skillset and experience. Good luck!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good on you for keeping your cool in the interview. Sounds like you were well prepared. Good luck on getting the job. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

Thanks alot guys for the replies and reassurances.

...regards

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now