Working as a ICT Officer for council

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by momer79, Apr 20, 2011.

1. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

Hi,

I am wondering if it is worth working for a council as a ICT Officer when people are talking about budget cuts and losing jobs in public sector?

Is southend on sea good place to live?

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

If they're actively recruiting for one, then i'd imagine they'd need somebody - only they'll be able to tell you that if you go for an interview.

No idea about southend!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

As Apexes said - if they are hiring then they must need one. Last time I worked in the Public Sector it was for a fixed 12 month contract and at the end they wanted me permanently. What does the job involve?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

Role is Software Support and Development.

Did you enjoy working in public sector?

Pay scale is 27880 - 33450, does it mean that the starting salary will always be 27880?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Depends on how big thr council is, My last place was a local council and I was there for neigh on 3 years, generally loved it. Apart from the tech side, the things you have to remember is public sector have no individual pay scopes, so what you start on is generally it apart from any incremental increases the council may receive. When I first joined the first tax year ended with a blanket pay increase of somewhere like 2%, then the markets tanked and that was it for pay rises for the next two and a bit years until I left. As a rule the IT department were fairly well encased from redundancies as we were being asked to maintain services with depleting budgets which meant that investing in virtualization was actually a good move for the council and things like leading on Co2 emissions was a good publicity move as well.

Worrying times can come around when councils join forces with other local councils, which mine did, quite a few admin staff bought the redundency bullet but operational services remained fairly stable.

As the others say if they are splashing the cash in recruiting then they are not likely to be ditching the new boy anytime soon.

Oh yes and another thing dont forget to take tea bags, your own cup and a couple of quid for the milk money, no drinks are provided in public sector!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'd never automatically assume that the lower bracket is always the starting salary.

I was in a job 3 years ago, pay bracket was 22,000 - 28,000 - i started on 20 - i'd never take it as a dead cert that's what the minimum would be, it'll depend on many factors at the end of the day

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

For public sector that salary bracket will be a grade and you will start on the lowest amount. The higher amount means nobody at that grade makes more than that amount. Usually there is no negotiations to set your salary.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

southend is alright if you wanna cruise the sea front and get yourself an essex birdie! as for living there i wouldnt know! :D every place has its good bits and bad bits so do some research, im sure it wud b fine tho.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'd do some ground work first and make sure the job actually exists, councils are notorious for going through the motions due to legal requirements and advertising roles they know fine well are going to be filled by someone internally.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  10. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

I was told that i am the last person they are interviewing on the phone and will let me know about the outcome of this in few days. After a week they told me that they are still conducting telephone interviews.

I believe that job does exist as council is hiring through capita agency. Council didn't close the position at the first time as i was the only one filling all the criterias and later they decided to leave it open for another week.

I do have feelings that they might hire someone internaly.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

haha! Crapita remember them well! lulz.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing