Working abroad - Contracting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, Mar 14, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

I have been tempted for a while to work abroad as a contractor and have never really done it due to lack of experience. However, now I have gained much more experience in networking I am thinking of a year or two down the line going and doing a 3 - 6 month contract out in the Middle east.

I was hoping some of you have done the same before, know what its like and what to expect? Is it worth it, and does it look good on your CV to have experience out in other countries?

In particular I have seen roles out in Qatar, Dubai and Saudi Arabia. Most of them are working for energy companies in particular oil companies that offer alot of money around £500 - £600 per day which would be a nice amount of brass to earn... But that's not the main reason im interested. I do love to travel and in particular want to know if this is good in terms of career growth.

All your answers are greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I know one guy, worked over there for some time. Made a ton of cash, drives a Lamborghini Murcielago now. Seems to have worked for him, but YMMV.

Heat could be an issue, you won't go out much and some things like alcohol may be forbidden so you'll need to get your kicks from other things. Lovely buildings and sight seeing only go so far, but I can certainly see the experience you gain of providing an additional layer to your CV which can be seen as quite positive by some employers (this guy I knew, ended up in a respectable IT engineer job at a very large company that I sometimes go to for engagements).

At the end of the day, you may also be doing 6 day work weeks if I'm not mistaken, and most leisure time will probably be spent in the cooler, humongous shopping malls.

I have NOT done anything like this, although I HAVE done a lot of travelling (but usually it's been a 1-2 week stint in N/S. America, Asia or in some European country), so I may very well be speaking out of my rear end when it comes to this particular type of experience you're seeking.

Having said that, I too enjoy travelling, I do have plans to visit Dubai and the like soonish, hence why I've done some research to figure out what exactly it is that one can do once they get there...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If you can get a job doing it, do it. Coin will be good and you will get some new experiences. I am currently out in Azerbaijan working, but not permanent (several trips here over the last few months).

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

I work here in Switzerland, while not the Middle East it's abroad nonetheless :D

I had the choice of working in UK or coming here and I felt that here would be the better option because, it'll look awesome on a CV when/if I decide to come back to the UK, I'm learning way more than what the job description entailed, it's made me a more independent person (girlfriend and family in UK), it's a beautiful place and the money's none too bad either. :lol:

Make sure you are aware of any permits and such that caught me off guard a bit, I mean I knew you required them, but had no idea that I had to attend integration meetings and such.

Anyway, I say do it if you have the opportunity, you may regret it one day if you choose not to.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I've worked in Qatar (not as a contractor, just on a project). There is basically nothing to do but drink and gain weight out there. Alcoholic refreshments are available in most of the middle east if you are English. The roads are terrifying.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  6. BraderzTheDog

Hahaha sounds great to me, lots of brass and alot of drink! I didn't think they took nicely to drinking out in the middle east?

My uncle (now unfortunately an alcoholic) used to work on the oli rigs as a diver, ended getting locked up for drinking in Saudi Arabia...

I've heard they extreme out there, an eye for an eye mentality.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

They are extreme out there, doesn't stop the stills cropping up. I lived\worked in Riyadh when I was in the forces, hell on earth and as Flash mentions the roads are the worst I have ever experienced, traffic lights are viewed as an inconvenience and central reservations?? **** they are for doing illegal U-turns on.

Fuel is cheap as is gold.

As it happens I met my wife when I decided to move abroad a couple of years ago (not the Gulf I hasten to add), moving to Luxembourg was probably the best thing I did, not only because of my wife but also the fact that it does look good on the CV, it never held me back and in all honesty I would do it again in a heart beat (unfortunately somewhat more difficult now with 2 kids :().

Whilst you're young and carefree I would definitely say do it but do make sure you keep an eye on the local customs and don't get yourself in trouble (especially if you're going to the middle east where drinking and public displays of affection with someone you're not married to is viewed dimly), make sure you try and integrate as well, it's a much better experience if you try and live with the locals than just being an ex-pat.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The alcohol (as far as I know) is typically served in hotels for foreigners, but I except the prices to be a notch higher as a result.

I also hear that some medication may be forbidden and bringing something as simple as aspirin with you could get you in trouble. But don't take my word for it, it's just something I heard somewhere and didn't really look into it (I don't need medication so I never carry anything like that with me on travel in the first place).

And yeah, public shows of affection can be frowned upon to the point of getting you in trouble. Take care to learn the customs, they have a lower level of tolerance than most places in Europe.

FreshenUp: ah, another one living in Switzerland, howdy!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. BraderzTheDog

I will definitely give it a go, it is true you only live once... Would hate to regret not giving it a go.

Learning the local customs... Hmmm, good shout, I would never really have thought about that until I was there... Its probably a good idea to look it up.

Thanks for your input!

10. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

I thought it over and over and over and just figured I'd regret it, so go for it bud. You'll learn tonnes, not just IT stuff, it's good to learn other customs and such.

Gruezi :)

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680