Work....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by swatto, Jul 16, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all,

Im feeling a bit down at the moment....

I work on an I.T helpdesk logging emails, doing general password resets and creating intranet/AD accounts, doing the occasional break fix. I have just been told I am now been forced to use the phones and sign in group between 12-2pm to get me prepared for moving onto the desk as one of the agents. I have tried to avoid the phones as much as possible as I have a terrible stutter/stammer when I use them (and get very very anxious) and sometimes I cannot get my words out at all (it is just a block). Really don't know where my future in I.T is if I cannot get over this 'issue' I have with the phones :(

Lets see how it goes from monday,

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Go talk to your boss about it mate, explain your situation and anxiety

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hi jk2447,

I already have, my bosses know all about my stutter and anxiety. It seems they feel that if I keep using the phones I will eventually get used to it and the anxiety and stuttering will die down. I can't really refuse to do it as I risk my job if I do - and in the current job climate I don't want to do that. :(

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Do you know why you get anxious?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Be positive, smile and get ready.:D
    Yeah, easy to say you think -hard to do.
    Without a phone you can not do much in 21st century.
    I would recomend for you http://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Con...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247736159&sr=8-1
    Great book, and will get you confidence high and ready for telephone conversation.:singer:gun
    It helped me with doing a speech in front of around 50 people at my work.
    IT that not only PC machines, there is a "human" side too.
    Good luck.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah no, doesn't seem like you have much choice then, except maybe take it up with HR but you run the risk of annoying your boss. My Fiancée used to be terrified of working on the phones, she didn't know why, but she did settle into after a month. She doesn't mind them at all now. I think all you can do is give it a month say and if you are miserable you are going to have to look for a job elsewhere, 2nd line.

Chin up mate, you can do it. Don't think too much into it. If you get too anxious just ask your Team Leader if you can sign out for 5 minutes, go get a cup of tea. I can understand your anxiety but regardless of your position, good telephone skills are a must in pretty much any line of work, so try to look at it as you are being forced to improve one of your weakest skills. You will reap the benefits of overcoming this. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies all - feeling better already, might look at getting that book :)

Im not sure why I get anxious - I think it is because of the fear of stuttering, it's like one big viscious circle. Ive tried numerous therapies etc over the years but to no avail. I will see how it goes when I start from monday, got the whole weekened to worry about it lol

8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I used to have this mate, not so much a stutter, but a fear of phones and sounding stupid if I didnt know the outcome. It meant that when I spoke to somebody, I did end up mixing up my words and saying random things..

It's normal though! Over time you do become more confident and it disappears. One thing I've learnt is to just be very calm and take things slow. Occasionally you'll get the person who speaks at 10 words per second though which is always fun lol :) You can always ask them to hold for one second whilst you get your reply sorted, but I've found that deciding what you're going to say usually makes it worse. Just take it slow and say what comes to you from instinct.

PS. I'm actually doing part sales now that our company has downsized.. so it's quite possible to get over it!
    Chin up pal :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would try and work on it mate. Most jobs will require communicating with people, be it face-face, telephone, e-mail or all three.

I am sure your employeer will help you with your anxiety and perhaps give you the easier jobs to start with.

Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

- hardware engineer I never used a phone when was one

Also have hated working by phone much proper desk side as can see problem in hand.
    Also not a big fan of filling out calls logs.

Swatto
    I have use Paul Mckenna cds you can get from your local library.
    Half the battle is not thinking what can happen, You may stutter/stammer you may not after all the user calling for help.

:rolleyes:

Could you not work on Email support? Phone support 12-2pm Ask to start for only an half hour to hour.

Have a look at investorsinpeople.co.uk
    what about Disability in the workplace there is rule employers have to work by

Keep busy over weekend try as hard as it is not to think about it.

Best of luck

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The more you worry and stress about it, the more it will defeat you. The more you are confident, and the more you realize that you CAN do it, the more you will succeed over it.

Don't fail before you've already begun. Overcome it and realize that YOU are in control.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies all, I will just have to see how it goes and not think negatively about it - as you say BosonMichael the more I think negatively the worse it will be. Positive thinking is the way forward :D

13. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies all, I will just have to see how it goes and not think about it - as you say BosonMichael the more I think negatively the worse it will be. Positive thinking is the way forward :D

14. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

So how did your day go ?