Work + Uni?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Griffins, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Griffins

Griffins New Member

Hi!

I'm starting my first year at uni and was wondering - has anyone here completed a degree and worked throughout it, rather than relying entirely on student loans & savings? Even now I have a decent chunk of time to spend on working, I was wondering if this will continue though. I've put an estimate of the hours I'd do into this salary calculator and it comes out at £400-500 a month, which is more than enough to sustain food, car and other small expenses. Is it worth having a larger cushion of savings, or will I have enough time throughout the course to sustain that amount of work? I'd rather get answers from someone who's actually been in that situation rather than a tutor, but any advice is welcome! Cheers :)

drum_dude likes this.
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi and welcome,

I have done it a few different ways when I completed my degree I also worked part time, and it was fine full time work would of been difficult.

Also I completed a masters while working full time but the masters was part time so was ale to do both.

One tip I would give you is that the course gets more intense\more work as it goes on so first year had loads of free time, second not so much and by the third was very busy but that does depend on the course but think that is a general rule of thumb.

Not sure if you are going away for Uni or not but if you would focus on your study and Uni life you have plenty of time to work but only a few years at uni take time to enjoy the experience there is more to life then work!

Certifications: A few.
    dmarsh likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Rob is totally correct, but I will repeat the points anyway.

1. Courses gets much harder as time goes on, concepts get built upon, workloads increase.
    2. You are expected to spend ~20 hours a week doing your own learning around the subjects. If you are not factoring this in you are making a big mistake.
    3. Its well worth doing a relevant work placement as part of a degree, however often these pay poorly or not at all.
    4. The money you earn as a student is generally on a very low rate of pay, after graduation you could be on much higher rates.
    5. There are other things university offers that you should ideally take advantage of: Dating / Meeting your future Partner, Building Friendships, Playing Sports, Developing Hobbies and Interests.
    6. Generally it doesn't make sense to run a car in college in the UK
    7. Working a part time job for under 10 hours a week should be doable in years 1-2.
    8. Yes its worth limiting the debt load you take on by reducing expenses and earning an income in the holidays / weekends.

Students historically in the UK lived in very poor housing and eat very poor diet as they could not afford avocado toast and starbucks.