Work in PC Repair Shops

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Jun 10, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I've been out of work for just over 6 months now, graduated with 1st in Computer Networks for Business 4 years ago, 12 months voluntary I.T Support, 18 months Admin with some I.T Support blah blah blah and I'm just wondering what it's like to work in one of these shops.

Specifically how low is the wage, as low as minimum wage? also how often do you get the chance to visit clients (Home/Business) to install/repair things?

I really want to be out and about doing technical things, that's why I applied for apprenticeships with Virgin, Sky and Cable and Wireless, I had a telephone interview with Virgin and didn't get any further. I've applied for a role as an I.T Field Engineer but had no reply and they didn't reply to my question as to why I didn't succeed.

In the meantime I'm going to pop into my local recruitment agencies, ask them about I.T Support jobs and give them my CV. I may also volunteer again.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If i were you, i would call in and speak with any shop you would be interested in working for.

Not sure about "local shops" but I believe places like PC World and PC Home help charge about £25 per hour although not sure how much would be passed down to the technician.

Have you thought about working for yourself? There might be some funding somewhere.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT