Work Happy?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 27, 2006.

?

Whats more important

1. work

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. environment

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. money

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Couldn't figure of a title, so you'll have to live with that...

anyway, i was emailed a job from my old company saying it may be up my street, its dealing with opti-time and some others...

that pay is good, the role seems to be good (had a conversation with a old colleague) and unfortuanetly, the people i will be working with, are, without any question about it, complete bunch of :cussing :cussing :cussing

...and thats where my problem lies...

i enjoying working (honestly), helps kill time, and im learning more stuff as time goes by, having a enjoying working environment is, of course a bonus, having a environment where you dont like, is bad but it is manageable, however, in this case, the people i will be working with, are the people i was soo glad i'll never ever see againt... but if i decide to apply and get the role, i cant dodge the crowd as i will be working with these guys...

i'm thinking twice about applying for the role, but as we all know, moneys coming in, and im learning about new technology, i shouldn't let a bunch of ass granny sniffing dil do's stop me working there....

any input on this?

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ultimatly for me its the work
    if its boring and monotomous, cya!
    you have to keep me interested, progressive and entertained or someone else will
    I have worked places where i love the guys im working with, others where i couldnt stand em, at the end of the day i can deal with shitty colleagues if the works good, altho these days its a bit of both as i dont really need to put up with the crap anymore

money is important sure, but its similar across the board, a large increase for me at this point would likely be doing similar stuff at a higher level, which to me is not a bad thing, its just progress

so have to say work and environment, but mostly the work has to be what im looking for to keep me around

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Sod it, I voted for the wrong one.:oops: I put work I meant to choose environment. For me, it doesn't matter how boring or poorly paid the work is (within reason) as long as you get on with the people you work with and can have a good laugh. I've been in situations where I've not got on with people and it's made the job a nightmare.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

enviroment.. no point in working for someone if you dont like the work enviroment...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hmm:hhhmmm

That's a bit of a tricky one I guess it's Environment>Work>Money. But no mater where you work these days, there's always Office politics. You can't get away from it:rolleyes:

I prefer to be kept busy, have a challenge, then again it's better to be in a place that has a good working environment then be surrounded by a bunch of tossers:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve gone for environment. Having worked with some right arrogant twats over the years its good to work with people who are down to earth and actually know what they are talking about. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you don't like the work (and that's the main reason you're there) then it's no use being there. In every company there are people that you will get on great with and some that you won't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Envirnoment all the time. I've had some very low paid jobs up until recently but I thoroughly enjoyed going into work because of the banter and made some lifelong friends. Provided I have enough money for rum, curry and treats for the missus then I'm happy

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  9. Mr.Cheeks

i admit, i have worked in a very nice environment when the pay was crap, i was offered another job, but was too comfy where i was, but times have changed.

money, in all honestly, is now a major factor to me, its not that im broke (not yet), its that, everything is going up in price, but not the wage (you get the cost of living rise, but thats pennys!), and two jobs isn't helping as much as i thought it would, tax man :twisted: )

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Let's face it Cheek the Tax man is never happy:rolleyes: , doesn't matter how many jobs you have or how much you earn, they always want more:biggrin

If you were offered a job of 36K per year which mean't you had to work under ground, seven days a week in a dangerous environment, with people who had no social skills and had hobbies like plane spotting and fungus collecting, would you do it for the money?

11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

They're called tube train drivers, aren't they :twisted:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  12. Mr.Cheeks

but that's totally different, there is no IT involved, if there was IT involved then the answer will be yes else no...

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good reply!:biggrin :twisted:

The job I was referring to was working for the MOD:dry
    in radioactive Chemistry, working underground in Lab's and the on;y time you smelt fresh air was when you were travellin to from work!

I thought money would make me happy, but it doesn't job satisfaction. Having said which when I worked for a company as a IT programmer. I spent all day in a cubical with no interaction with other member of staff. Good Money, crap environment.:(

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I think its a mixture of all 3 that make a good posistion.

A few years ago i was in what i would call the best job i've ever had. The environment was on the whole great (good work collegues, small comapny, cleanish workshop), the job was good (wiring, testing, mechanical assembly) and the pay wasnt to shabby either (not saying the rate lol but i could life with it). I was contented, happy and enjoying it all, having fun while working!!

I did go for an interview while in this job for another one, it was for more pay. However i turned it down. The money was almost twice as much as i was on but i'd be working alone most of the time with longer hours and to much change everyday. The job itself was ok and intersting (making machines that produce the master dvds and cds for production).... I decided that i liked the job i was in and the environment too.

Since then i have been made redundant from that job and have never found another that i have felt so comforatble in. I've had jobs where the environments been great, the guys i work with etc have been fun and easy goin. Yet the job itself has been dead boring and i found my mind wandering too much. Another job the pay just wasnt enough to survive on even tho the job was good. And another i just didnt feel as if i fitted in with the guys i worked with tho the pay was great and the hours ok.

Now im in a role where the pay is ok, the guys are ok but the job makes me feel as if im floundering and my mind is wanderingagain... who knows if i'll stay??

What i want is a job thats intersting, the pay livable and the environment pleasing.. with out all 3 i'm never goin to be happy..

So Cheeks.. add a 4th option to your poll of :- ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Alot of it also depends on your situation in my opinion.

If you need the high paid job to support a family or children, it has to be done, regardless of the environment or work. Alternatively, if your like myself (Living at home with no children etc to support) then you have the freedom to choose between the 3, money, work and environment, or ideally have all 3 to some extent.

My advise would be to decide how much you need the money, and if you dont need that much money, then is sitting there in a horrible environment worth it! :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I do need the pay what with 2 kids a GF and a pc habit to feed... however if i dont feel happy at work it shows at home, so i'm quite happy to quit the job to look for another one on the same pay or less so long as when im working i feel happy. However the money not being enough would probably make me feel bad so i wouldnt be happy with less pay... catch 22??

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  17. Mr.Cheeks

the poll is multiple choice btw:

18. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Catch22 indeed, its becomes alot more complex when you have a family to think of instead of just yourself!

As long as you can afford to put food on the table, cloth your children and pay your bills (easier said then done im sure) then I guess your family will support you whatever you decide.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. Mr.Cheeks

family becomes a seperate issue im my case, which i wont go into, but one thing everyone knows, you have to look after number 1, and then looking after number 1 means that you cant (at times) please family aswell, which also adds to the burden!

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I went for all 3...cos the way I see it u cant have one without the other...and now I am finally in the IT sector...its definitely where I want to be...it was ok working for Apple before but only cos the staff I was working with were all top notch and thats the only thing I miss about that place, otherwise the work and the money can be ignored no problem...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life