Work from home - now be Real!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dee1810, Aug 29, 2005.

1. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi to Everyone

"I would love to be able to work from home" - but does this option really exist?

When I signed up to do my CIW exams, I was really hoping that It wasn't a "fantasy".

I have a very long way to go, I know, and I realize that I will be at the bottom of the ladder. How do I get to work at home, as it would be a great scenario for me. I have discussed this with friends who aren't in the industry, and as I keep reminding them - as a new employee, I will be expected to commute to the office at Some point - so that I can prove my worth, for one thing.

I am a bit naiive about all of this, so can someone please put me straight about this "work at home mum" idea.

How to I start/or not! as the case may be, please?

Dee1810

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think it's possible but not right off the bat. I once thought I'd be able to do 100% freelance tech writing from home. The idea really appealed to me and for awhile, I was getting so many offers for projects, I thought it might actually happen.

However, as in all things, business waxes and wanes and the offers dried up. I was also working half-time as a contract worker for HP and really liked the job (supported a usability lab), but it wasn't enough income and no benefits at all.

I found my current job a little over a year ago and really like it. The hours are regular so I can still work after hours and on weekends on extra projects. They are beginning to roll in and the additional income is nice.

Having said all that, if you could build up enough steady income streams so that you always had work coming in (and a relatively dependable income), then you might pull it off. Problem is for someone relatively new to the game is that you will have to build up a clientele first and that takes time, especially since you will be competing for other freelancers plus companies offering the same services.

JMHO. Hope it helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think this depends on two things. First is the company you're working for, and second the position you have. Some companies really frown on working from home because of the security hole that is created by allowing people to access the company network from home computers.

Some positions just lend themselves to working at home much easier than other positions do. A programmer could work from home much easier than someone who does network or server support.

My first exposure to the IT world was in a job in which I worked at home. Do I expect to easily find another one that will allow me to do the same? I don't think it's very likely to tell the truth.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thank you so very much for the advice.

I think that "maybe", after I have moved up the ladder, that i may be able to do some work from home, but like you said, It depends on the type of job that I'm in and the opportunities to do work without causing security headaches. Tricky!
    I have resigned myself to the fact, that until I can prove my strengths and abilities, I will definately have to be office -based.
    To be honest, trying to juggle home commitments, studying, and a toddler is quite a handfull.

Thanks again

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I occasionally dream of this idea as well, dee, at times when I may have a day off, and am working on someone's PC, tinkering around here, and doing some other online work at the same time, pausing only briefly to gaze out the window.

However, I feel it will remain just this - a dream. I know what you mean about the toddler, it's a treat to have hometime and worktime together, but I doubt if I'll see that luxury in the near future.

Sorry to put a downer on it - you never know ... :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I work from home and it is a dream for most people.

The reason I can do it, is that I spent 30 years working in London making a good salary and saving large chunks of it.

Just over four years ago I emigrated to Australia. The exchange rate was very kind (2.6 bucks to the nicker) and so it was somewhat like winning the lotto. Coupled with that, the housing costs here are so much cheaper that I could buy a house outright with my savings and the profits I had made on the previous five houses that I had bought and sold for more, so no more mortgages or loans for me. Also we don't have kids, so that is a huge commitment which we have intentionally avoided.

I have been running my business for about six months, starting from scratch. I have some really good customers and they all seem to appreciate me and want to continue using my services. I have an advert in The Yellow pages but things are still progressing slower than I would like but I can afford to wait.

I don't believe that it is a realistic idea for someone starting out, needing income to support a family and a mortgage etc.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thanks to Gav and Pete

I don't find any advice to be a "downer", Gav, especially if it's straight from the shoulder.

Pete - oh, excellent! What a great move. My Husband is self-employed, and thinks that it would be easy for me. ( poor deluded bloke). Don't worry, I'll put him straight.

Well, you've give me loads of things to think about, fellas.

Thank You.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No worries dee. Good luck to you for whatever you may decide!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)