Work Experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Duckie, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Last week I finally worked up to speaking to the IT Manager at work about the possibility of observing on our Helpdesk in my own time.

(The team I'm in operates a rota system so each person does one week of 8am - 4pm, then one week of 9am - 5pm, then one of 10am - 6pm. Which means that every third week I’ve got 9am - 10am free and then 4pm - 5pm free on a different week).

He’s completely fine with it but we’re taking it slowly initially (one hour per week). My first session is next Wednesday and I just can’t wait. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve not specifically done Helpdesk work before and haven’t really had any experience of Active Directory or Call Logging software etc so I’m hoping to gain a basic understanding of the systems used. It's a small Helpdesk (only 3 people; with an additional 3 people on Desktop Support) for a firm this size (approx 800 people) and I know they're going to be reviewing that at some point. If they do expand in the future, maybe this will put me in a better position to apply.

Also… I’m going to see if I can do a weeks work experience in May with the Desktop Support team at the Local Authority I worked for until a couple of months ago. They often have people in on work experience and I’m on good terms with most of the team there. And my previous boss who goes way back with the Desktop Support Manager has offered to put a good word in for me which I thought was nice of him although I feel slightly weird about taking him up on it.

Anyway I'm feeling woohoo and positive about it all :D

~Duckie

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well that sounds like a plan!!

It all seems a good idea, you can observe what others are doin and gain some knowledge that way, maybe even get to help out during busy periods after awhile!

Really anything like what your trying to do helps no matter how small it seems. You will learn something, and if they expand at least you may be at the front of thier minds when considering candiates as you've shown initiative by asking to do this, and the helpdesk guys would know you and your abilities by then.

Im lucky as im getting some experience by doing the odd job for the g/f's bro in his shop. Im also getting tips and advice from his partner who is an ex-BT network engineer... He knows a lot about networks and unix /linux!!!! It will all help later im sure.

Well all i can say now is good luck duckie heres hoping it pans out for ya!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good stuff, just goes to show if you don't ask you never know.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Well my first Helpdesk observation went well. The girls are really lovely and made me feel welcome.

I learned a lot about the systems we use here (strangely enough we use Access for call logging – not sure how common that is but the previous places I’ve worked have all used specific call logging software, eg. HEAT) and got my first introduction to AD. Our Helpdesk only use a few features of AD but I think I’ll be able to pick up the aspects that they use without too much difficulty.

All in all it was a fun and educational experience. Can’t wait till I’m back down there (was supposed to be next Wed for an hour after my shift but they’ve said I can go down and sit with them whenever I’d like [outside of my working hours obviously] so I might go back down before then).

~Duckie

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003