Work are struggling and need me more

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 19, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My current workplace is stuggling so much that the new guy in my department is going to have to go back into his old department to help out for 8 weeks.

This means that they need me to work longer hours.

I have been asked to sell work my last weeks remaining holiday and I said give me £400 + a weeks pay and its yours, they also have offered me a 23% pay increase for the next 8 weeks.

The 4 hours I work every other saturday is normally paid at normal rate but they are saying I will have to do 4 saturdays in a row and they'll pay me time and a half on top of my 23%.

As some of you know I have a job interview on Saturday if I am offered the job and providing the pay is affordable to me I will take it, my question is can I tell the interviewer that I have to give 8 weeks notice instead of 4 (which is what it is) so I can cash in?

Also do you think I sold my self short on selling them back my weeks holiday I wasn't going anywhere I was just gonna be around the house probably browsing cert forums or something.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Honestly speaking, I very much doubt a company will wait 8 weeks, as they'll probably have lots of interviews, and even if you come across the best, the 8 weeks will put them off. I guess it depends how much the interviewer wants you over someone else. It would be a shame to miss out on extra money but would the change of jobs be worth it in the long run?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would go for it, extra cash always helps :biggrin

At the end of the day, if an employer wants you, they will respect and wait for you to finish your notice (whatever you tell them, provided you don't take the piss). It is not uncommon for employers to wait up to 3 plus months for their ideal candiate.

At the end of the day it's down to you, I'm just telling you of what I've come across.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee

I understand what you mean, the thing is I don't even know what the new job if I get it will pay and also the extra money I will probably earn from this extra pay will cut my debt finishing at the end of March to it finishing at the end of January.

Then I will be free able to move further a field in my persuit of IT jobs, plus I could afford to drop to an entry level position which I can't do at the moment.

5. greenbrucelee

Cheers Ken

I will wait and see what happens at the inteview and see what they offer me if they want me and then base mu decision on that, the fact is with my debts the more money I can get the quicker I can pay them off.

Its a catch 22 situation.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Like Ken said, wait until after the interview before making a decision. Who know's you might find in the interview that this is not the job for you!

Worse case scenario GBL is that you take the new job because you want to get into IT but you might regret it later.

My advice go to the interview it is always good to have the experience and it will prepare you for the next one if you don't get offered the job. Since you got debts to pay, it pays to stay where you are.

Also once you have paid those debts off you will be in a better position to take a entry level position in IT

Good luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If the new company wants YOU and only you, they'll wait. But odds are, for an entry-level job, they want someone decently qualified to fill the position, and preferably as soon as possible. Thus, even though they might prefer you, they'd likely take someone else if they could get them 4-6 weeks quicker. If I were hiring someone for an entry-level job, I'd not want to wait that long.

I don't think you sold yourself short... you got £400 + a weeks pay for a week's worth of vacation... sounds like £400 profit to me!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!