WOOT!!! DEBT FREE AT LAST!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Nov 9, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just finished paying off all the outstanding debts...and I tell u what...I feel a whole lot better...thanks to my parents for this...I dont think i could have done it without their help...

all im waiting for now is the £1500 for me to buy my new laptop and put the rest aside for a holiday or two next year...:biggrin cos I damn well deserve it hehehe...havent been abroad for 7yrs...and thats saying something...

Anyway guys, just wanted to share this with u all...and to let u know in the end its those closest to us who we can rely on when things get really bad...:biggrin and I hope everyone else settles theirs in as quick a time as possible...for me its been a hard and long 6yrs to get rid of all this debt...and thank God i've finally done it...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

I have got untill the end of March then its my time :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations :) i was lucky enough to have a medical related payout recently so i cleared all my debts that way.
    Just dont go spending your overdraft and getting back in the red

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I thought you werent debt free, just that your Mum was loaning the money to pay them all off, and that you had to pay her back?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes but im debt free with the creditors...I would rather pay my mum back than pay back 4 different creditors...and with interest on it...as with my mum there is no interest...:biggrin

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Really glad your not involved with creditors anymore, question is, how long you paying your mum back for? :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well its going to be 3 yrs at £200 a month...and thats including the £1500 she's going to give me very soon...if it didnt include the £1500 then it would be £200 over 2yrs...

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good job, mate. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! :biggrin

Holy crap, no wonder you were in debt! :ohmy My last laptop cost me $800!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear, so just be wise and don't spend unless it is a necessity. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lol...I should have mentioned im not spending £1500 on a laptop...im spending £500 on the laptop and putting the rest aside for a couple of holidays...which i think i said in my first post...so dont have a heart attack just yet...and here is the baby I am looking to buy:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130953

Sweet or what? :biggrin

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Now you almost got me tempted there to flash out on that toy:) but yeah it's tops.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I told my mum earlier about it...she was like: "why dont u wait until after Xmas when the price goes lower?" I told her its on sale now!! so it wont go lower it will go higher after Xmas!!...lol...

14. BosonMichael

Or what. :)

ASUS: Great for motherboards... not so much for laptops.

And a Turion? Core 2 Duo is the way to go, I promise you. :) But don't take my word for it... check for yourself:
    link1
    link2
    link3

Finally, you won't be doing a whole lot of gaming on an X2300... the model number of a video card tells everything. The second digit denotes the target market segment based on the speed of the card. 2s, 3s, and 4s are targeted at non-gamers. 5s, 6s, and 7s are targeted at casual gamers (and unfortunately, are among the fastest you'll find in a laptop). 8s and 9s are targeted at hardcore gamers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

In 2 months... you can either buy a faster system for the same price... or the same system for a lower price. It's been that way with technology for decades... and even more so today than in the past.

16. Fergal1982

From your first link Mike:

Seems like a biased review.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Have you considered one of these bad boys Noel matey?

I agree with Mike, don't get A Turion, and as an avid gamer, you don't want an X2300
    come on noel you know better than that! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  18. BosonMichael

Seems like an ignorant comment by that poster. How does having an integrated video card vs. an add-in video card have anything to do with lower processor score comparisons? There's no way to deny that the Turion chip is not as fast as the C2D chip... and the C2D even costs less, does it not?

For the record, those C2D comparisons were T-models, used for laptops, not desktops. Desktop models are E-models.

Hey, I provided an Anandtech review as well, for any doubters. :)

19. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Noelg,

I don't mean to bust your bubble, but I agree with Fergal. You're not out of debt. You still owe the same amount. You just owe it to someone else.

Your mother has been most generous and I'm sure has acted out of her love for you. Her actions are sure to save you quite a bit in finance charges, interest, or penalties. But bailing you out of your financial the way she did could possibly do more harm than good. You should not even be considering the purchase of a new computer or a holiday until you're really debt free. Mother included. She has offered you an opportunity to get your finances under control, yet you can hardly wait to start spending again. Take some time and think your actions through.

Good Luck,
    Bill

20. Fergal1982

Not saying its not true, but its, at the very least, bad practice to perform comparisons with different systems. Where possible, you should strive to have both test systems as identical as possible.

Its already been noted that manufacturers cut corners with notebooks to preserve battery life, and any of those corners could introduce a bottleneck in the process for benchmarking the processor. You cant use them as true comparisons unless they are as close as you can possibly get. In this case, at the very least, both test rigs should have been notebook PC's in order to reduce outside factors impacting on the metrics you are choosing to measure.