Wirless Setup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dominoe, May 15, 2007.

1. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Greetings all
    Im currently setting up a wireless modem for a friend but was unsure on a few points any advice would be greatly welcomed on this .:helpread
    here are the FAQs
    The network will be a in a Semi-detached house, with the computer up stairs and the modem/router downstairs (contected to the master phone socket) theres a rough distance of around 70 foot with walls and ceilings inbetween.

I was looking at the following setup
    Netgear DG834PN 108Mbps Rangemax Wireless ADSL2 & Netgear WG311T 108Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter .

would the above do the job and also will that PCI adapter work with the rangemax modem or would I have to get the rangemax PCI adapter as well?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Wireless can be "hit and miss". I have found that newer houses tend to allow the signal to travel further due to less walls being made of brick.

If you have a spare wireless unit, you could set it up to check for signal strength. If not, explain to your friend that the worst case scenrio could be a wireless repeater half way between the access point and computer.

You will need an access point (total) and one wireless card (stick with the PCI cards opposed to USB) for every machine on the network.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I've installed several Netgear range max wireless routers and have been using the bundled PCMIA & PCI Rangemax cards my supplier had on offer.

All worked well except in one location (large old house with flint walls) where I had to add a D-link wireless antenna directional patch indoor 6DBI (ANT24-0600). This unit is a mag mount antenna that really does work significantly boosting signal.

Sound like a big house, take my advice & use range max at both ends!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    if WI-FI is causing you concerns, why not try Homeplugs????
    Have heard good things!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im currently running a dlink with that configuration. I have the router downstairs and i use the laptop upstairs with no problems at all. Ive got an old house so its all brickwork throughout, mine is only a 2 bedroomed house tho so that might make a difference.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

thx for the info guys :) still not shure what to get yet but its given me something to chew on

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  7. Darren Wright

Darren Wright Bit Poster

i live in a 3 story house built in the late 1930's & all the walls are brick. My wirless router is a netgear rangemax, i have a PC in the dinning room & my daughters have their laptops 1 on the second floor & 1 on the 3rd floor & they have a good signal on their laptops which have the netgear RangeMax Wireless PC Card (WPN511) & it all works fine.

You can only try & see what the signal/connection is like.

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well the other way of trying the range is to set up a lappy where the router will be and see if you can pick up its wireless signal, so lond as everything else is turned off first.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong