Wireless RADIUS Authentication

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by neilmowforth, Feb 24, 2008.

1. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

I'm setting up a wireless connection using WPA2/AES and PEAP, which uses RADIUS on a Win2003 server to authenticate. I would like to use computer authentication prior to logon, and then user authentication after.

I have issued the user with a user certificate and computer with a computer certificate. However the wireless will not connect prior to logon. Once logged on, everything works perfectly, IAS authenticates the user, the connection is made, and you can use the connection.

In the properties of the wireless network connection of the clients, on the Authentication tab, the "Authenticate as computer when computer information is available." is checked.

Certifications: MCSA
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I was under the impression that that wireless NIC had to support pre logon authentication at a driver level in order for it to work in that way ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeah, that true. Pre-logon Connect. You'll have to download and install the vendor's own wireless network card driver suite and not just Windows own. See here for the software for intel cards, and here for example instructions.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

Cheers guys.

Certifications: MCSA
    WIP: MCITP:EA