Problem Wireless Projectors

Discussion in 'Networks' started by AJ, Apr 12, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Got a little project at work and I think I need a little advice from you.

What we have been asked to do is provide a solution so that teachers (mainly maths teachers) can use a tablet PC in their classrooms and connect wirelessly to their projector. No problem so far.

They also want to be able to have access to their "My Documents" on the tablet whilst they are linked into the projector.

Does anyone have any ideas on models that can achieve this?

Ta

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry do you mean, what wireless projectors or what tablet PC's?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For the tablet, how about something like this?

It's small enough to carry (so they don't start complaining that it's too heavy, but you may get complaints about the resolution, only 1024x600) and it's got Win 7 HP - which can be upgraded to Professional/Enterprise so that they can still access the domain (their docs).

As for Projectors, there's the lampless one from Casio (I've never used them before), or the Hitachi/Acer/Sanyo ones (I've used their non-wireless versions).

Sorry can't help you any more than that :)

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

AJ

I take it you mean they could punt the display from the tablet to the projector but still have access to their docs "off screen" so to speak?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. AJ

Thanks guys.

They want to attach to the projector wirelessly to teach. They also want to have access to their My Docs so that they can access network resources ie internet, shared folders and the like. To my mind this is using the projector like an access point. I think we will need to run CAT5 to the projectors as well.

Am I making sence here :blink

6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

That's what I understood.

Surely it would just be a USB dongle for the Projector (obviously set to Extend not duplicate) and then just a wireless (or wired) connection to the school domain?

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=EPDAEB1725&nbs_search=K%3DWireless%26lang%3Den-gb%26C%3D113%26S%3D1022%26M%3D%26PS%3D50

Wireless projectors don't seem to be cheap. The one above seems to be completly wireless, exact features I have no idea. Get in touch with the Public Sector people at Insight mate, they will be able to hook you up with exactly what you need. I got thirty HP DC5800s for less than £10k with Insight once. (They lowered the price to secure the purchase)

AJ would it not be an idea to get a wireless cloud up and running (budget permitting) to get rid of cables to the desks and then wireless projectors to get rid of VGA cables trailing from the Projector to Desk.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Tablet to RDP to box? :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I think AJ is asking for somesort of projector with a LAN connector and wireless link or AP built in so you access the school network trough the projectors AP. I haven't seen a solution like that.

All the wireless projectors i have seen are just standard wifi clients. So you would have a separate AP, the projector would connect to it like your tablet and become available.

A cheap pc with may be a good solution, adhoc wifi (even 802.11a if you can now use in UK) would be a cheap solution if you wanted to keep things local to each room and use RDP. Benefits would be you could use cheaper projectors. cons would be difficult to manage security.

Or install APs around if you dont already have wifi and use RADIUS. Then you can use all manner of wifi devices.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Thin Client projector? Does such a thing exist...if not I'm going to register the patent! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. AJ

^This^

We already have a wireless network throughout the school. This is mainly for the pupils to use within the boarding houses. It is classed as untrusted adnd has no access to the internal LAN. In fact it only has access through port 80 and 443.

The ideal solution would be for a projector to be controlled via a wireless signal that would also have access to the normal LAN. The teachers wish to roam around their classroom whilst teaching. Even so we would still need to stream DVD quality video through the projector that are stored on the network.

11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

The only thing that comes to mind is to RDP over wifi to a PC that is streaming the video to the projector from the LAN and control it that way. You could use a cheap ITX for that just make sure its capable of H. playback and wifi bandwidth wouldn't be such an issue as the video wouldn't be streamed via it.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. AJ

Hmm that would mean letting teachers RDPing onto the servers. Now with the best will in the world, that isn't going to happen.