Wireless problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bambino1506, May 5, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Guys a friend of my other half's has a problem with their wireless connection, here's the info she's given me:

We have been having problems with wireless connection on our laptop, it either doesn't connect in the lounge or is incredibily slow (only started happening this week) braodband connection okay on our main PC - DH is running out of ideas - it will work upstairs, on the stairs but is poorly in the lounge.

I am thinking either a faulty NIC or a fault with the router, what are your thoughts ?

Thanks

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sounds obvious, but I would recommend asking them whether they have either moved the Access Point recently, or put something next to it that didn't used to be there (a telly for instance).

People often overlook this, but it is by far the biggest cause of signal fluctuation in Wireless Access Points. Saying that, I don't practice what i preach - my Wireless signal is crap because I can't be arsed to trail cable out of my server room and into the rest of the house to put it in a decent location - at the moment, the only two places I get really good reception (apart from when I'm sat next to it down here in my dungeon) are the kitchen and the garden...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just to add to what Zeb said, it could be interference from something else in the house, so try changing the router channel (can be found in the router settings)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Bambino1506

Great replies, thanks guys. Hadn't thought of that.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also, as with all wireless kit, you might just need to move the AP a little bit, meaning a couple of feet to the left or higher etc, as it could just be on the edge of a good signal path.

Try turning off any possible sources of interference.

And with most of these wireless APs you can get an external aerial which supposedly boosts the signal.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Bambino1506

:respct Thanks Blue :biggrin