Wireless PCI NIC not working on PCI slot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Mar 24, 2009.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I have a friend who bought this wireless really cheap PCI card, and it's the second one he gets, and once again it doesn't work on the PCI slots his motherboard got. We have tried on booth PCI slots and the system doesn't recognised it.
    I must say that it is weird as he has a USB pci hub and it works on booth PCI slots.
    Any ideias as to why it doesn't work?

I am on the process to try it on my pc here at home to check if it does work here but the ridle is on my mind as to why, I mean it is the secong one now and still the same, windows xp doesn't find any new device even though it is P&P.
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As both were cheap cards, it's not beyond doubt that both were DOA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheap hardware always causes problems.

What happens when it is installed, do you get a prompt to install a driver or does the PC not even detect the new hardware?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. albertc30

it doesn't even detect the new hardware mate.

I am just about to switch my pc off and try it on this one and see what happens.

let you all know in about 15 minutes at the most.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't seen this in a long while... but some motherboards share resources between slots or between slots and integrated devices. It's possible that this is happening.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. albertc30

I have just tested it in my pc and it works, I mean, the pc detects new hardware and after installed all it does is well NOTHING for a £11.99 Wireless NIC card what to expect.

It was righ next to my wireless access point and my BT Home Hub router with wireless also and even though is like 5 inchs appart it doesn't even pic those up... lol cheap stuff. I have always said that we always get what we pay for.

Anyways, now that we know that the device is not DOA, why doesn't it work on my frineds pc where we know that a usb pci hub works on either one of the 2 he has got? I know what you are saying BosonMichale but I has tried without the usb pci hub on, just the wireless card on its own and still nothing on the system.

I must say that I am quite curious about this.

Would a BIOS update sort it out? Maybe?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm saying that the slot might share resources with an integrated motherboard peripheral. That said, if you try the PCI NIC in the same slot as you had the USB PCI hub in, then there's some other sort of conflict... either there's a driver or some other software that's preventing the new device from being detected, or it's simply not compatible with that motherboard.

What brand and model mobo is it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say that this is a driver problem. I've found that even the cheap cards 'work' - for some value of work! But I prefer the Intel cards myself.

For me the give-away as to whether a card has basic functionality is on the boot screen. Many motherboards report the cards found while booting. If the card appears there then it should work with the right drivers. *Don't* let Windows pick the drivers - it can get them wrong, particularly with cheap boards.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. albertc30

Gigabyte mate

model: ga-946gmx-s2